Go Bottom Go Bottom

WHICH TRACTOR WOULD YOU PUT A LOADER ON

View my Photos
millsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-01-26          104970

I am beginning to realize I need a front-end loader for my weekend farm. I currently have two tractors on which I could put the loader. The first is a John Deere 5103 with 50HP and is 2WD. The other is a New Holland 1925 with 29HP, 4WD and has a hydrostatic transmission. My wife likes using the New Holland to do finish mowing around the farm and it concerns me that if I put the loader on that tractor it might inhibit her from using it.

I am seeking advise as to which tractor would be better suited for the loader.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-26          104971

I looked at JD's website and it appears that a front loader is not available on a 5103 tractor. Can this be? With a compact utility it is usually recommended to have 4WD with a loader. However, I believe the 5103 is a larger frame tractor that can easily push dirt around without the need for 4WD.

Many loaders go off and on quite easily but it is always a pain if you want to do a quick job. It is always set-up the wrong way. I use my loader all of the time and have stopped using the tractor as a mower.

Are you going to do more farming work with the loader and driveway management? With the larger tractor, you will want to stay off of the lawn because your tires will make big impressions. Also depends on what and how much you want to put in the bucket. The smaller tractor could use a 60" bucket and the larger tractor a 72" bucket or even larger.

So, it depends on the application. ....

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-26          104988

I would go with the 1925. the factory loaders are still available being the 7308. Installation and removal takes only a few minutes then you have 4wd. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-01-26          104990

Normally I would say hands down to put the FEL on the 4WD hydro trans. tractor. However, in your case, you stated that the wife likes to use the NH for mowing. The FEL will make mowing MUCH more difficult for her and she will not like it one bit. I take the FEL off of my 4410 during the mowing season because it just gets in the way and makes tight spots and trimming more difficult. If you and your wife are comfortable with removing and installing the FEL on the NH tractor as it is needed; then I would say put the FEL on the NH. If not, put it on the Deere 5103. The Deere 5103 take the 521 or 541 FEL. I would recommend the 541 and get the 4 in 1 bucket if the budget will allow. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-01-26          105000

Ten acres or less the 1925 definitely with a removable loader. More acreage then larger tools could be used and the extra clearance of the larger tractor would be good. Loader work and heavy duty pulling they would be about equal until muddy and then the 1925 will have an advantage. One thing you have in your favor to one is the fact your wife enjoys driving it! Plus or minus it is a good option. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2005-01-26          105006

As yooperpete stated the 5103 is a large frame machine and will do a fair job with the loader. I use the loader on my 5205 in two wheel drive sometimes works great if the ground is not to wet. If it's wet at all it will spin a bit and start digging holes quick, I have the option to engadge mine to four wheel on my model. I think I would probley go with putting it on the New Holland as loaders are much better suited with four wheel drive. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-01-28          105131

I don't know about how easy the loaders go on and off of the NH's. But I do know I went from a 2wd Oliver to a 4wd 4310. Once I picked up a load with the oliver, I had to be careful of where I went so I wouldn't spin the rear tires. More than once I've had to drop my load so I could get the tractor unstuck. The 4wd on the 4310 makes all the difference. I may have a little less power and a smaller bucket, but not having to worry about getting stuck makes all the difference.

If the loader goes on and off as easy as my 430 on my 4310, then I would go with the NH. I take mine on and off as needed (usually off) so the wife could mow. In winter, it stays on. But it's so easy to take on and off that if NH has a similar setup, then I'd go that route. The 4wd will make a world of difference. ....

View my Photos
dsg

2005-01-28          105138

If NH has the quick attach Loader then that would be the way to go because it would be easy on&off. It also depends on what you will be using the loader for and the loads you will be lifting, The loaders for the 5000 series lift a lot more than the loaders for compact tractors. You can fill a loader bucket just as much with a 2wd as you can with a 4wd if you do it right, the problem can be when you want to back out of the bank of material. If you have dug yourself into a hole with a 2wd then you will have problem.

David ....

View my Photos
denwood

2005-01-28          105144

The New Holland loader for that model, the 7308, is as good as it gets for going on and off easily and quickly. Like the international 2250 mount-o-matic and John deere's compact models. My partner even showed his wife how to do it. ....

View my Photos
tw-20ford

2005-06-23          112670

We have a tc 29d new holland with a great bend loader on it. Its rated that u can lift 600lbs. but we've did about 800. It'd work great for you. ....

View my Photos
kskwash

2005-06-26          112776

I have a TC30, 4 WD, with the 7308 loader on it, and it does a great job for me. I have put almost 900 pounds in it, and it will carry the load very well. It takes me about 5 min. to remove or install the fel, and it requires no tools to do so. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login