Post hole diggers: Tractor Implements  -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum and Review Post hole diggers: Tractor Implements -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index

Kubota Tractors
  Kubota News
  Kubota Price
  Kubota Review
John Deere Tractors
  John Deere News
  John Deere Price
  John Deere Review
New Holland Tractors
  New Holland Tractor Price
  New Holland Tractor Revie
Other Tractor Brands
  Articulated Tractors
  Belarus
  Bobcat Tractors
  Case
  Cub Cadet
  Hinomoto
  Kioti Tractor
  Long
  Massey Ferguson
  Mitsubishi
  Other Tractor Brands
  Other Tractor News
  Shibaura
  Yanmar Tractors
Lawn and Garden Tractors
  Craftsman
  Cub Cadet Garden
  John Deere Garden
  Kubota Lawn Garden
  Other Garden Tractors
  Simplicity
  Toro Wheelhorse
  Ventrac Lawn Tractors
Antique Tractors
  Allis Chalmers
  Case David Brown
  Farmall IHC
  Ford
  Ford 9N 2N 8N
  Fordson
  Harry Ferguson
  John Deere Older
  Massey-Harris Ferguson
  Minneapolis Moline
  Oliver Cletrac Cockshutt
  Restoration
  Tractor Pulling
Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph
  Back Hoe
  Field Mowers Brush Cutter
  Grooming Mowers Finish Mo
  Loaders
  Snowblowers / Snow Plows
  Tillers and Ploughs
  Tractor Implements
  Trenchers
  Wood Chippers 3PH
Tractor Maintenance
  Diesel Fuel Lubrication E
  Tractor Engine Repair Reb
  Tractor Tires
Utility ATV
  All Terrain Vehicles
  John Deere Gator
  Mule Utility Vehicles
General Tractor
  Farming Ranching Agricult
  Photo Contest
  Size Tractor Needed
  Tractor Projects
  Tractor Safety
  Welding
Chinese Tractors
  Jinma Farmpro Agracat
  NorTrac Tractors
  Other Chinese Tractors
Cars
  All Brands
  Audi VW
  BMW
  Car Tires and Maintenance
  Chrysler
  Exotic, Sports, Racing
  Ford Cars
  General Motors
  Honda
  Hyundai
  Mercedes
  News
  Nissan
  Subaru
  SUV and Trucks
  Toyota Cars
Trucks Trailers
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
Home Building
  Alternate Electric Energy
  Barns Pole Barns
  Buying Ranch Farm Acreage
  Carpentry
  Contractors
  Electric
  Excavation
  Moldings Finish Trim
  Other Home Building
  Pellet Stoves
  Plumbing
  Wood Stoves
Tools
  Electirc Power Tools
  Gas Power Tools
  Generators
  Shop Tools
  Techniques Howto
Landscape
  Flowers Shrubs Garden
  Golf Course Maintenance
  Irrigation Systems
  Landscape Design
  Landscape Lighting
  Landscape Maintenance
  Lawn, Turf, and Grass
  Vegetable Gardening
Construction
  Caterpillar
  Komatsu
  Wheel Loaders
Current Events Health Happiness
  Current Events
  Dogs and other Pets
  Electronics And Computers
  Food
  Health
  Just For Fun Off Topic
  Movies Music Games
  Personal Finance Investme
  Sports Outdoors
Tractorpoint Site
  Member Photos
  Site Members
  Website Operations Howto

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Implements Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 12-12-2001, 19:39 Post: 33778
Bob in PA

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Post hole diggers

I'm considering the purchase of a 3-point hitch style post hole digger (PTO driven most likely). I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how well the ones with the hydraulic cylinder for down pressure work. I have used the standard ones which rely only on their weight, and have watched them sit and spin to no effect on hard ground. Also, what particular brand(s) would be recommended. I don't intend to put in miles of fencing, but I would like to buy a reliable one.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 12-13-2001, 06:38 Post: 33790
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Post hole diggers

I haven't seen one that has it's own cylinder, and I'm just thinking through how something like that would work. Unless I’ve got it wrong, I don't think there would be any down-pressure if the 3ph could float upward as normal. In that case, the auger cylinder would handle all lifting and lowering and the 3ph would be redundant. My auger goes a little over 4' deep if I bury the gear box in the hole, so a lift cylinder for such an auger would have to be quite long.

I suppose a 'down-pressure' auger could be designed to apply force when the 3ph was full up at the top of it's mechanical travel, and the 3ph would then handle most raising and lowering. Something like that could be handy for starting holes but wouldn’t be available after the 3ph started lowering. However, I've always heard that load shocks against the mechanical limits of hydraulic systems are not good. Maybe there's an 'on/off' 3ph lock down that could be controlled from the tractor seat, but I can't think how something like that would be designed--might be useful though.

I guess down-pressure could be an advantage, but here's how I think about it. When the auger does spin on top of the hole for me, it's because it cut a plug of meadow sod and the point is clogged. I just have to pull the sod plug off the auger point. The soil is very sandy here and starting holes hasn't been a problem. I think there are auger points available for different soils.

I guess an auger with its own cylinder and maybe a hydraulic-top link to adjust the vertical could help dig more precise holes, and that might help sometimes. I guess it's fair to say that 3ph augers dig pretty sloppy holes that could give some types of contracting work problems. It's pretty easy to get holes that are poorly located or take off on slants. A fancy auger might be helpful to some people, but unless I used one a lot, my solution for sloppy holes is just bigger ones. You don’t have to real accurate using a 12” auger to put in 4” posts, and I wasn’t either—missed the fence line completely here and there.

12-13-2001, 16:13 Post: 33800
PWG

Post hole diggers

I recently bought a $500 cat 1 post hole digger. I ending up modifying it to make it work better with my 4400. The boom needed to be off-set by 3" to clear the top link mount and it needed to be reinforced with a 36" rib. These weld mods were done in a few hours for $50. The JD digger was close to $1500.

I have dug nearly 100 holes for posts and for trees. If the auger has good cutters, adding down force should not be necessary for your post hole work at home.

12-14-2001, 06:14 Post: 33808
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Post hole diggers

I see the edited version I posted yesterday didn't make one idea very clear. Down-pressure applied by a cylinder attached to an ordinary 3ph wouldn't apply down-pressure unless the 3ph is locked down similar to a 3ph backhoe mount.

I think PWG's issue was ground clearance. The entire up/down motion of an auger is done by the 3ph. Augers don’t have top-links, they have a boom that attach to the top-link bracket. Compacts often have low ground clearances, and the booms on some augers are so long that the auger doesn't clear the ground when mounted.

I also have a $500 flavour auger, and it works just fine. It has three mounting positions on the boom to raise or lower the auger's ground clearance. Fortunately, the auger on my Ford 1710 is OK on fairly level ground in the centre mounting position. If I had to drive up hills, I'd probably have to move to the higher position, but then the auger wouldn't dig as deep.

I wonder if a small cylinder on an auger might help adjust ground clearance, or maybe make locating the point to an exact ground location easier than the 3ph alone. I haven't seen one, but if they're around, maybe the purpose is something other than applying down-pressure. I do find putting the point an exact spot on the ground a little difficult--mostly because I can't see the point on the ground from the tractor, but I suppose an HST would be easier than my gears. I usually end up digging in the loader bucket and moving the tractor short distances by using the loader curl. I frequently move the tractor a short distance mid-way through a hole to keep kep it more vertical. Augers freely swing on heir lower-link pins, and gravity adjusts them to a vertical. It’s not uncommon for a hole to take off at a slant. The 3ph side-leveler can be used to adjust the vertical on side-hills.

12-14-2001, 14:49 Post: 33818
Bob in PA

Filter by User
 Post hole diggers

Gentlemen, Bush Hog model 2103 has an optional down pressure cylinder. It is a single acting, 2" bore / 8" stroke cylinder which is mounted just about midway on top of the boom. Bush Hog says it provides an extra 550 lbs. of down pressure. I'm not sure exactly how it works, since the photo only shows the mounting from one perspective. I have a photo which I could email you (not sure if I can upload a .jpg to this board). Thanks for the responses so far.

12-15-2001, 06:21 Post: 33826
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Post hole diggers

Bob: Thanks for your note too. Thinking the thing through again, it is true that few 3ph's are held down, and powering an auger into the ground should tend to lift the 3ph. That's what would happen with implements that use a top-link.

However, with a boom rather than a standard top-link mount, there's a chance that the cylinder has a vector that loads the top-link mount more than the lower links are unloaded when the cylinder is lengthened-- something like that anyway. I'm always glad to have a reason to think something through again.

I am curious where the cylinder goes. Maybe then I can visualize the geometry. I seldom send pictures and I don't think I ever have here. I'm not sure if its possible to send pictures, and even if it is, it's probably a good thing if it's not too easy.

To test, I put a jpg file name in the picture field of the post screen. If the picture shows up, it's a safety chain common in Canada but uncommon in the States. The grab hook has a safety bale that prevents a link from falling out of the slot if the chain slacks.

Link:   Click Here 

12-15-2001, 18:17 Post: 33839
Roger L.

Filter by User
 Post hole diggers

Bob, a post hole drill is just like any other kind of drill bit. If it is dull it will just sit on the ground and spin. But if the side cutters and particularly the lead-in screw are both sharp you probably won't need any down pressure unless you are in rock or shale. Mine even does old gravel stream beds without any down force. Try it first without the hydraulic top link. You can always add the downforce link if you have the need.

12-16-2001, 08:45 Post: 33851
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Post hole diggers

Thank you Roger. Short and to the point. I do get carried away with trying to figure out how things work.

I still can't visualize the geometry that would allow a cylinder to generate significant down-pressure when a 3ph could float upwards. Dang, my auger is under wraps for the winter so I can't even mount it and have a look. Finally got some frost in the ground, so no more post-hole digging till spring. Frost, but no snow cover. Maybe I should be thinking about putting straw bales on top of the septic system instead of worrying about visualizing auger geometry.

12-16-2001, 09:29 Post: 33854
Roger L.

Filter by User
 Post hole diggers

3pt geometry is difficult to visualize. To help myself, I finally made a flat cardboard model of one side of a 3pt hitch as viewed from the side. It is mounted on a larger piece of cardboard with pins as the pivots. Changes are easily made with tape and scissors and the whole affair moves up and down with fingertip pressure. My criticism of this cardboard model is that although it does a good job with showing the pivots, it doesn't show the influence of the an implement's weight. I use finger pressure to give the idea of weight, but maybe a soft rubber band would work too.
Post hole drills and 3pt booms are interesting because they have one more hinge joint than a blade or scraper. Maybe there are still some things that could be done to improve the 3 point hitches.

12-17-2001, 06:28 Post: 33868
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Post hole diggers

Roger: A model sounds like a very good idea. I'll have some time on my hands coming up. There's a period that should already be passed when the season's work is done (we don't have livestock), there's too much snow to walk in the bush but not enough snow for snowshoes. We're overdue for that time when I'm around the house more. Model building might lower my wife's aggravation level, and maybe a model would lower my verbiage here. Well, maybe it would be good for everybody's aggravation.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Implements Forum

Thread 33778 Filter by Poster:
Bird Senter 2 | Bob in PA 6 | DRankin 5 | dsmarsh 1 | Greg Crowe 1 | JimTN 5 | kthompson 1 | Old Forge 1 | PWG 1 | Roger L. 6 | Ted @ Abbeywoods Landscaping 1 | TomG 18 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
Anthony7

Tractor Engine Repair Rebuild - Foton 45  3PH will not lift
Foton 45 3PH will not lift

Unanswered Questions

Shibaura SD2203 rear axle oil
Mitsubishi MX55
Gator HPX ignition module
SL 1643
Removing LHS rear wheel beari
Gear Grinding 1200A - primary
Replacing a friction diskwashe
Bolens k1502 mitsubishi K3 ove

Active Subjects

Big country 4x2 utility vehicl
Operation
lift cylinder for 3pt hitch wo
Still have jerk in hydro
Flatulent gifts human and dog
front mount snowblower
Hydraulics Won t Work
4210 ehydro codes

Hot Topics

NorTrac Tractor Quality Review
Case 446 hydraulic pump
Long 460 hydraulic problem
Jinma Tractor w transmission p
Flatulent gifts human and dog
Generator set up ideas wanted
6X4 Gator Sometimes Shudders
Roof VP75 Brush Mower Manual

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Tractor Category 1 2 3 Hitch sizes Defined
+ What is 3 point hitch draft control
+ Howse impliments are junk
+ Farmi vs Fransgard Logging Winch
+ Spike tooth drag harrow
+ Tractor Implements Category 1 vs Category 0
+ Kubota rear hydraulics for a log splitter
+ Rock picker
+ Road-Boss-Grader