Go Bottom Go Bottom

Need more hydraulic flow for skidsteer attachment

View my Photos
Trainpilot
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2017-05-03          196661

I am contemplating the purchase of a rock crusher to work with the FEL on our big Kubota. The attachment (see MB Crusher) requires 26 gpm and the tractor's system is rated at 21 gpm. The rep said that it is possible to piggy back an additional pump off PTO to supplement tractor's flow. 3pt hydraulic packs are pretty pricey, even if I fab myself. A small unit that uses tractor's reservoir has a lot of appeal. Does this approach make any sense? If so, how would one plumb it in?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2017-05-04          196662

I use a pto driven hyd pump for boom mower and I think all the boom mowers on tractors use pto driven hyd pump to drive them. For the gpm I would not try to use the tractors system to drive it but either find one or build a self contained system pto driven. That would include pump, reservoir with probably cooler and controls. Be sure you do not undersize the pump and to allow for it's wear. Not sure the percentage over the needed gpm you should use for that.
DO NOT MISS INSTALLING RELIEF VALVE...I blew a pump when changed control system and missed the old ones had the relief valve in it..

You can get pumps that mount directly to the pto or using a pto shaft.

Surplus hyd offers reasonable prices on much of what you will need. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2017-05-04          196665

I don't see the 3pth PTO power pack as being particularly spendy, especially when compared to the price of the crusher itself.

We have built quite a few of them, theyre pretty easy to do and straight-forward setups.

I would NOT recommend using the Kubota's hydraulic system at all, the system uses a much thinner fluid than a typical hydrostatic drive setup on an implement.

Likewise, if you're going to use a PTO pump it pretty much has to be a stand-alone system or you're going to get into some complicated plumbing to keep one system from trying to pressurize the other system as well as the implement.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Trainpilot
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2017-05-04          196667

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll have to build a PTO driven power pack. Some of the pumps i've been looking at are pretty noisy. I think these are vane pumps. Would mounting the pump inside the tank help with noise? If building from scratch it would not be much harder to fabricate, as a thicker or reinforced tank wall could serve as a mounting flange for the pump. I should think the hoses would have an oil-resistant jacket, and could be used to connect to bulkhead fittings to get outside the tank (at least the HP line). I know tank size should be roughly same in gals as flow rate. The attachment will be running maybe 1/3 of the time. The bucket crusher holds about .3 yds. and one scoops up rock, drives over to truck, trailer, or stockpile, then runs the crusher. Suggestions for plumbing and valving? Should we plan on disengaging PTO between crushing? -A little cumbersome vs. having a spool valve that directs flow to the implement. I value experience and suggestions with these kinds of applications. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2017-05-04          196668

We use a 3pth-mounted tank, the pump (see link below) hangs on the end of the PTO shaft.

Valve depends on the implement and use, whatever is the easiest.

http://www.princehyd.com/Products/Hydraulic-Pumps/PTO/PTO-Castiron

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login