Go Bottom Go Bottom

Fertilizer drop spreader

View my Photos
iowathumper
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-01-18          176469

I have a about 3 acres of food plots. and plant about 1/2 of this in corn. My big problem is the plots are only about 50-60 ft wide in some areas. I have used a PTO 3 Pt spreader and tried adjusting so the pattern allows the fertilizer to stay on the plot (Left or Right spread only)I don't think I get a very even pattern and lose allot going in the timber.
I would like to find a drop spreader I could pull behind tractor, of 4 wheeler.
Anybody out there have anything they have bought, made or some other idea to get fertilzer spread even?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Fertilizer drop spreader

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-01-18          176470

If the spread won't stay within a 50' width I must be missing something. You can adjust the size of the drop opening, the speed of the engine and therefore the PTO, and the angle of the spreader (aiming the spread downward reduces the distance). And if need be I should think you could rig up a baffle to contain the fling. What seems to be the difficulty? ....

Fertilizer drop spreader

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-01-18          176480

I have used a PTO spreader a fair amount with materials with a need to even spread the material only about four feet wide to as wide as possible. Was able to do as Auerbach said with baffles or just control of PTO speed, control of discharge or combo. Of course all of those spreaders are not the same. Some have much better control than others. ....

Fertilizer drop spreader

View my Photos
iowathumper
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-01-18          176481

That makes sense. And just never really thought about adjusting the diffrent items mentioned.

Fertilizer drop spreader

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-01-18          176490

iowathumper,
I try to run mine with pto shaft level but the lower you lift it the narrower it will spread. On my spreader it does not throw the same to both sides. Yours may or may not. If you will have someone else drive it and you watch if from the rear it might help you notice pattern a lot. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login