Go Bottom Go Bottom

Ellusive lift arms and post hole digger problem

View my Photos
AnnBrush
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-08-14          133285

I was using a post hole digger and got it stuck about 4' down - it wormed its way down faster than I could stop it. Anyway no amount of raising the 3PH and turning it would get it loose, in the end I disconnected the unit and positioned a vehicle jack right (4 ton) above the auger and jacked it out. Once reconnected the lift arms on the tractor (JD 4300) will drop very slowly while the PHD is attached (and raised) and every so often a hissing sound is heard followed by the tractor re-lifting the lift arms back to the original draft (lifted) position. The PHD then v. slowly begins to drop again until it has dropped about 2 to 3 inches and the hissing starts again before it is re-raised. What's going on? Whats broken? Any bright ideas on how to fix this problem.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-08-14          133293

It sounds like fluid is bypassing the lift piston and the valving is compensating for it. It was probably just a coincidence that happened while you were augering. I had an old 9N that did that. Turned out to be a worn 3pt lift piston seal. Easy and cheap fix. Take a look at the piston where the connecting rod mates to it as the piston might be cracked too causing a leak. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-08-14          133296

Something is missing from this equation.

Unless the tractor is equipped with position control, or the 3pth control lever is being moved, where is the fluid to keep raising the arms coming from?

All of the hydraulics for the 3pth are internal, there is nothing to examine without some degree of surgery.

It does however sound like fluid is bypassing a seal in at least one place, the cylinder or valve, causing the settling, and also in the lift control circuit, causing the lift back up.

If it is the 3pth control valve, it would explain both.

Best of luck.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login