Go Bottom Go Bottom

3 point Blade teeth

View my Photos
kwwolfe
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-06-14          130856

Has anyone tried attaching teeth to a 3 point blade? I do not want to buy a box scraper seeing as I am not going to use it that much, however I would like to break up some compact soil. I bought 4 sets of sickle bar guard teeth that have slots where they can fit over the blade. Have not tried it yet. Any other ideas. Possibly homemade scarifier bar?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

3 point Blade teeth

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-14          130860

To me it would depend on how much you will be using it and what other equipment you may have along with just how hard the compacted area is.

If you have a tiller, disk or plows (even plows for cultivation) they can be used to different degrees. Will your blade if rotated not cut the ground? I think if your ground is hard enough a rotated blade will not cut it, the cutter guards would not handle it either.

If you have the hp and strong blade, you can rotate the blade like the road graders (road plows), put weights on it and even extend the third arm for different angle. Depending on your blade it may rotate two ways allowing you to set it on a point. Good way to bend or break it with stumps. I am assuming you have a good cutting edge on your blade.

Hope you well. ....

3 point Blade teeth

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-14          130866

As Kenneth touched on, weight has a lot to do with it.

I was helping out a friend last year, his econo box blade on his 'Bota BX wouldn't break up the soil.

My Rhino had no real problem doing it, mind you, my 'Bota is a little beefier, and my Rhino blade wieghs 1,000 pounds, not 400 as well.

Best of luck. ....

3 point Blade teeth

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-17          130971

Like the other posts said if the blade isn't designed and built to withstand the high leverage at the pivot you will wish you had invested in a box scraper. A box scraper will tend to load up which will help become the needed weight. You might want to invest in hydraulic top link which will give you more versatility with the box scraper as yu can tilt the scarifiers to the optimal pitch. You can do it manually with the manual top link but hydraulic is the way to go. When I make my final pass I lift the box scraper all the way and extend the top link which drops the rear. I then pull it around in high gear and it spreads out the finer stuff like butter. Another option is buying or renting a 3-pt power rake (about $4000-7000). They are amazing how they can grind a soil into powder (I've got one). You need a hydrostat trans though to be effective.

Here's another idea: a "middle buster" or "single shank ripper" they're not real cheap ($150-300) but could be the ticket to break up soil. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login