Go Bottom Go Bottom

Wear plates

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-30          130068

Does anyone know where to buy the material that is used on wear plates for soil contact to save the metal wear plate? It is used on some parts that slide on or in the soil or soil slides over.

Thanks,

GD, GB

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Wear plates

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-30          130074

Go to any weld shop and ask for high carbon steel or hardened steel if the don't have it they can get it. ....

Wear plates

View my Photos
Murf

2006-05-30          130079

Kenneth, there is also welding rod, called "hard facing rod" that can be used by merely running a bead or pattern on any steel.

We use it for the inside of buckets, etc., and it makes a big difference.

Best of luck. ....

Wear plates

View my Photos
oneace

2006-05-30          130082

Yes I also used to use them. Especially on PHD auger teeth. ....

Wear plates

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-05-30          130097

Kenny, "Hard facing" rods are used for at least two reasons when it comes construction equipment. One way is building up or restoring a leading or cutting edge. The other is to reduce friction on the bottom and outsides of such things as loader and backhoe buckets as they slide through sticky soils or sand. Typically, the welder makes a pass or passes in a diamond or square pattern about an inch to two wide. This creates a hard wear resistant ridge which captures the sticky soils. Soils caught in between the ridges act like ball bearings reducing friction and wear on the bucket surfaces.

Wear plates

View my Photos
harvey

2006-05-31          130106

The street name is AR (abrasion resistant) steel.

Hard face rod come in many types make sure you get the right application. ....

Wear plates

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-05-31          130108

AR plate comes in various hardnesses. Be carefull, if you need to drill a hole in it, carbide tool bits don't even last. We try to plasma or waterjet cut the material whenever possible.

Hardfacing rod also works well. We always built-up the edges of cultivator shovels and moldboard plow shares. ....

Wear plates

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-31          130119

I had not even thought of hard surfacing rods. Sometimes the simplest just slips right by.

AR metal. Can you weld it?

Thanks guys, ....

Wear plates

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-31          130122

yooperpete,

The diamond pattern that earthwrks referred to would you suggest it on plows also or is that a different patten. I have been told if you run the weld the wrong direction it really creates a drag. Of course no idea was given on what is the proper direction.

Wear plates

View my Photos
Murf

2006-05-31          130131

Kenneth, you can weld AR plate, but it's sure a bear to cut or drill, as was mentioned.

With a plow I would think just the cutting edge, the mouldboard has to be as smooth as possible. Besides, the mouldboard doesn't really wear much anyways, it's just the points. In my case I wouldn't even worry about it, I usually break the point long before it wears down anyways. LOL.

It's different with construction equipment, we have to work in mud and sticky goo that a farmer would never have to worry about, they don't hit the fields till it's dry enough to not matter.

Best of luck. ....

Wear plates

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-31          130135

Murf,

"construction equipment, we have to work in mud and sticky goo that a farmer"

I feel so sorry for you and all the DOUGH you construction guys work with! All the way to the bank and wall street!! LOL ....

Wear plates

View my Photos
Murf

2006-05-31          130140

Money?? In construction ???? Nooooo, perish the thought!!

I only do this because I'm waiting for an opportunity in the insurance industry......

LOL.

Best of luck. ....

Wear plates

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-31          130146

My clients with ANY MONEY are all in construction one way or another. So I guess I am indirectly in construction.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login