Go Bottom Go Bottom

Wire-laying implement

View my Photos
n88wrl
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-11          120847

I am a ham radio operator and my latest project is a set of vertical antennas. Vertical antennas work best with a 'radial plane' - a bunch of wires laid on the ground in a radial pattern around the base of the antenna. Problem is, these antennas are going out in the pasture with the horses so the wires can't be *on* the ground. I'd like them to be under ground a bit.

So, this seems like a perfect job for my L3130. Is there any sort of 3PH implement that slits the ground and lays wire in the slit? I've seen a machine cable companies use that looks like a sewing machine for the dirt. I can imagine something like a single disk or blade with a feeder for the wire to go in the slit it just made. Then all I'd have to do is back up at the right spot, pull some wire down and drive forward, letting the wire pay out. Cut and repeat!

I already have a box scraper and a FEL - any ideas on how these might be used?

Thanks!

-Brian n8wrl

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Wire-laying implement

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-11          120848

If you put one scarifier on your box blade and pull it along the ground it will cut a bit of slit. Then you could manually insert the wire in the slit. A knife like scarifier would probably work better. Maybe you could buy an extra and grind it down. Just some random thoughts on a cold, sunny day. ....

Wire-laying implement

View my Photos
n88wrl

2005-12-11          120874

That's a good idea. The only problem I have with my box blade is that the scarifiers don't go down very far beyond the box - maybe 2-3". With the variation in the terrain that's not much. I wonder if they can be found longer, then your suggestion of getting an extra and grinding it down would be perfect!

-Brian n8wrl ....

Wire-laying implement

View my Photos
ksmmoto

2005-12-11          120877

I have seen on this and other tractor forums where people have used a subsoiler to trench wire. They are only about $125.00 at a TSC for King Kutter brand. Some have hose clamped a PVC pipe to the back to feed the wire in.

I have a KK Subsoiler and they do go down about 12" - 14" set at full depth. Do a search and you should find the posts.

ksmmoto ....

Wire-laying implement

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-12-12          120896

I'm thinking about doing something like this also, but for 110V not for an antenna.

What frequency range do you operate at? I can't say that it won't work to bury the wires but has anyone done it to show that it's feasible? It seems that 12 inches of soil would attenuate the signal quite a bit.
Dave ....

Wire-laying implement

View my Photos
n88wrl

2005-12-12          120929

This is an 80 meter four-square antenna (3.5MHz). All I need is to get the wires an inch or so beneath the surface, just to keep the horses from kickign them up. There is a school of thought that favors elevated radials. Not practical here.

Thanks for the tip on the sub-soiler - I'll look into that!

-Brian n8wrl ....

Wire-laying implement

View my Photos
oneace

2005-12-12          120937

Go to your local rental store and ask them for a radio fence installer or a cable plow. Both will cut the trench lay the cable and back fill in one operation. There is also a vibratory cable plow that after it goes through you can not tell that it was ever there. ....

Wire-laying implement

View my Photos
oneace

2005-12-12          120938

A link to EZ trench and there cable installer ....

Link:   EZ Trench

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login