Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 1050 hour meter

View my Photos
Cpt.Dave
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-08-05          60977

Anyone know where the wire from the hour meter goes when it leaves the back of the meter case? Ignition maybe??
cpt.dave

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 1050 hour meter

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-05          61026

If it is a wire you are tracing it means your hour meter is the elctrical type as opposed to the mechanical ones.

The source of electricity varies between manufacturers and I'm not familiar with the sustem they use.

Probably the power comes from the key switch.

Best of luck. ....

JD 1050 hour meter

View my Photos
TomG

2003-08-06          61049

It would be good to find a wiring diagram. A dealer parts guy probably can bring us a diagram on a screen with little problem and might be agreeable to confirm where the connection goes. That's what I'd try.

The fuse block usually functions as a bus for the accessory electricals but the question is which circuit it'd be on--most likely the same one as the rest of the gauges. There is a potential complication here and the question is whether the meter runs on battery voltage or something less. Many gauges run on 'ballasted' voltage so their readings aren't affected by changes in battery voltage.

Even if that's true, a gauge likely would have its own ballast. It'd be good to confirm the wiring though. You sure could rack up the hours in a hurry if a ballast were inadvertently bypassed.

JD 1050 hour meter

View my Photos
BillBass

2003-08-06          61081

I am guessing the wire is for a light in the meter. I have a 950 and my hour meter is mechanical (a speedometer type cable connected to the front of the engine). It also has a wire. I suspect the wire goes to the light switch. I have a manual with wiring diagrams, but it is with my tractor about 30 miles away. ....

JD 1050 hour meter

View my Photos
Cpt.Dave

2003-08-06          61086

Bill,thanks for the input. You are probably right.
I am still tracking down the wiring diagrams.
The tach still works,I'll check the light.
cpt.dave ....

JD 1050 hour meter

View my Photos
TomG

2003-08-07          61120

I have a mechanical tach myself but somehow just assumed it was an electric drive. If the unit has a tach cable to it, lights are about the only reason for a wire--especially if the light doesn't work now.

The circuit likely is controlled by the head light switch, but many switches have several circuits running through them. I'd look for a mystery connector that has 12V on it when the head lights are on and that's probably it. Still would be good to have a diagram so you know the colour wire to look for though.

JD 1050 hour meter

View my Photos
Cpt.Dave

2003-08-07          61151

Tom,I spoke with the mechanic at Deere and he said it is mechanically driven off the cable that drives the tach.The wire is for the light.He suggested replacing the tach but I don't want to do that.The tach works but not the hour meter.
Seems to me the meter should last more than 1300 hrs.
Thank,cpt.dave ....

JD 1050 hour meter

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-07          61152

Dave, you might want to look into buying a used hourmeter/tach. Might be able to find one at a tractor yard for a reasonable price. Before you do this, have you checked to make sure the tach is properly hooked up at both ends and the tach drive cable is not broken? ....

JD 1050 hour meter

View my Photos
BillBass

2003-08-07          61162

Cpt. Dave - Don't hold me to this, but I believe the hour meter works essentially the same as an odometer on a car. The hour meter numbers increment at a rate relative to the rpms. When running at rated PTO rpm, the hour meter will increment 1 hour in 1 hours real time. If you are running at less than rated PTO rpm, the hour meter will increment less than 1 full hour in 1 real hours time.
Since your tach works and the hour meter doesn't, it sounds like a problem in the meter.
By the way, mine has 2100+ hours and is still working. Both the tach and hour meter quit last year because of a broken cable. Replaced that and all is fine. ....

JD 1050 hour meter

View my Photos
TomG

2003-08-08          61199

Far as I know the hour meter on mechanical tachs are just simple gear drives off the tach cable--about the same as a clock mechanism. But I haven't heard of one that is serviceable and I'd guess a new one is fairly dear.

Just keeping track of how long the starter switch has been on would keep you close to tach-hours for performing maintenance unless a lot of time is spent chugging around at fast idle rpm. At worst clock time would tent to be greater than tach time and would tend to make for shorter maintenance intervals.

Most any 12V clock wired into an auxiliary circuit and some record keeping would help keep track of maintenance intervals. You could eliminate most of the record keeping if a day/time clock could be found that doesn't reset itself after power failures. Well, maybe that's gadgeting things to death. Mny people just naturally do maintenance more frequently than the manual specs anyway.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login