Go Bottom Go Bottom

Flat tires

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-27          60204

What a weekend, had all four tires flattened this weekend while mowing pasture. front two had so many holes had to put tubes in. BUMMER!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Flat tires

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-27          60206

That's why I stopped using liquid filled tires.

It takes four times longer to fix a flat and then you have to pay to get the tires refilled.

All of that assumes that you can get a 200-400 pound tire off the tractor and into a truck to start with.

I'll stick with wheel weights. ....

Flat tires

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-27          60215

Good grief plots what are you driveing over ? You might consider steel belted tires ! lol. Hows the deer food comeing ? My cow peas are doing pretty good but I did not spray that field and it is rapidly being taken over by bracken fern. The alf alfa need to be cut this comeing week end. ....

Flat tires

View my Photos
plots1

2003-07-27          60219

I was mowing around thorn tree's that I left in the feild from last year, those things are bruttel. I ended up haulin them to the back corner so as that don't happen agian. couldn't drag them or that would be like making a mine field of thorns , but my homemade forks work great for that task, look at pics. Plots are fair but we need rain badly,hope it comes soon before they burn up ....

Flat tires

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-27          60222

I have heard thorns can be pretty wicked on tires. We have a kind of crab apple here that gets thors 3-4" long. Very unpleasent buggers. I was starting to wonder what happened to you. I got the area preped with 23a yesterday for the new deer blind that should be here in the next two weeks. I went with the Mustang fiberglass blind. We have been haveing a fair amount of precip in the last two weeks thankfully as my crops were just about fryed. ....

Flat tires

View my Photos
plots1

2003-07-27          60223

I too have been lookin at those blinds, some look pretty fancy with sliding windows and all, I'm afraid I'f I got one too fancy I spend more time sleeping than hunting. LOL ....

Flat tires

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-27          60225

Sorry to hear that Plots1. Definitely a Bummer! If that problem keeps up; have you thought about mounting some aircraft tires that have a 10 ply rating? A lot more puncture resistant. ....

Flat tires

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-27          60226

Well to tell the truth this one is for the big boss. I am going to hunt the cedars this year. Its funny you mention sleeping. This past season was the first I have ever owned my own property. I was just so glad to be on my own land I spent a few days snoreing. oh well. Bye the way thats a fine looking piece of property you have. I expect to see some photos of the big buck soon ! ....

Flat tires

View my Photos
plots1

2003-07-27          60227

Doc is that 23 acers you prepped for plot work? If so that's going to be a major dinner for them. ....

Flat tires

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-27          60228

2 to 3 acres maybee. I spent all winter burning to clear that much. We had the dozer guy out this weekend. We are going to open several more acres this winter. I would like my main field about 5 acres. I have a bumper crop of grouse this year which I am very pleased about but the turkeys are really scarce which is dissapointing. Not as much deer sign as this damn bear has moved back in. Need a bear rug ? ....

Flat tires

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-07-27          60253

What kind of tires do you have Plots? I have been doing nothing but crunching thorn bushes for 5 days with the industrial tires. I have plenty of thorns stuck in the treads but they just pull right out. No loss of air and I check the pressure everyday.

Now the roofing nail got me however :( ....

Flat tires

View my Photos
plots1

2003-07-27          60255

I have R1's look at pics, thorn bushes are no problem ,but locus tree's will flatten anything. ....

Flat tires

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-07-27          60260

Nice place and photos.

I know what yuo mean I have some "thorn trees' around here. They look more like small pointy branches than thorns! Suppose they'll get me too eventually :(

I was thinking about using one of those 55 gallon drums filled with concrete. How is yours attached??

Flat tires

View my Photos
plots1

2003-07-27          60262

I have it straped to rear pallet forks full of water 500lbs ....

Flat tires

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-07-27          60264

Thanks

I was thinking of rigging something up to hook it to the 3 point setup. ....

Flat tires

View my Photos
harvey

2003-07-28          60271

Plots I spent lots of time in the Mojava. Know lots of stuff about sticky thinks. If it grows it has sticky things. If it crawls it has sticky things.

We did lots of playing in the desert and always had a pretty fair share of tire abuse. They build special tubes for most stuff out there. Seems like I was reading an enduro mag about some of the new slime products to go into tires to prevent flats...

You might check on desert racing, tire products...

Just a thought Harvey ....

Flat tires

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-28          60280

Some people use foam filled tires. They can't go flat but I've heard there are a few downsides to using them. ....

Flat tires

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-28          60281

Tom, do you have any more info on the foam ? ....

Flat tires

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-28          60283

Got to get off now. I'm just aware of some archive stuff but I'll try to dig it up if somebody doesn't beat me to it. ....

Flat tires

View my Photos
Stan in Calif

2003-07-28          60313

Gemplers has four grades of sealants. The mildest, "Flat Stop" works well for puncturevine and can be used on highway vehicles. The heaviest (Ultra Seal) supposedly seals bullet holes and is used by the military. ....

Flat tires

View my Photos
plots1

2003-07-28          60342

Stan can that stuff be used in tubes, If not how is it on wheel corrision . ....

Flat tires

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-29          60357

I still haven't been able to search out the foam stuff I mentioned. To my recollection, it is a high-density low expansion foam that is injected inside tires. I think it's more commonly used on small riding and garden tractors but I have heard it used on larger tractors. It does add enough weight to be useful for ballast. It makes rides rough and may keep the tire tread from conforming to the ground for max traction. When tires are completely ruined they have to be cut off the rims for replacement. There may be other issues. They don't go flat though. ....

Flat tires

View my Photos
Stan in Calif

2003-07-29          60418

Flat Stop can be used in tubes or tubeless. It contains rust inhibitors, but I haven't dismounted any tires containing it, so I can't speak from experience. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login