Go Bottom Go Bottom

Hydraulic leak

View my Photos
skipll
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-06-12          178963

Have a hydraulic leak on my excavator----I don't know anything bout Hydraulic systems---I need to tighten the fitting where a hose goes into the pump, but to do this I need to remove the hose connected to it cause I can not get a wrench on it--- (center of picture shows the fitting)
So can I disconnect the hydraulic hose & reconnect it with no problems---anything I should know bout doin this--Will it have pressure on it---Do I need to bleed the system after I reconnect the hose?
Any tips much appreciated :)

Picture Link

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Hydraulic leak

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-06-12          178968

Go to Home Depot and get a basin wrench. I use it for situations just like this. Get the type with a pivoting head and extending handle. About $15. ....

Hydraulic leak

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-06-13          178974

"Will it have pressure on it---Do I need to bleed the system after I reconnect the hose?"

It's good to be cautious; hydraulic fluid leaking under pressure can be dangerous. Shut down, operate the control in every direction, then wait a day. Unlike fuel systems, most hydraulic ones self-bleed during operation.

Hydraulic leak

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-06-13          178978

Jeff, that is a neat idea on the wrench.

Skip, hyd fittings vary as to their sealing method. It if it is leaking where it is just threads sealing do use a good thread sealant. I prefer teflon tape but what ever you use don't place it past the end of the fitting so it ends up in the hyd system. If you use the tape and have never done so you wrap it opposite direction of the threads so screwing it in does not take it off. They do have dope for hyd fittings also. Do be sure you have noting being held up by hyd pressure when you do this. If not sure as has been suggested before, get wrench in place and drop heavy rag over the fitting as you break if there is still pressure. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login