Go Bottom Go Bottom

Diesel Fuel Line

View my Photos
lencamp
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-12-29          176003

Anybody know anything about diesel rated fuel line such as Trident A1-15. Is rubber gasoline line OK to use? I've heard no because of diesel fuel additives.

This is all new territory for me.

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Diesel Fuel Line

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-12-29          176006

I'm responding with an assumption that you're not a bio-diesel user. Switching from conventional diesel to that stuff brings with it a whole different set of issues.

Relative to conventional diesel, your question relates more to ULSD than it does to additives. Engines made after 01 Jan 2007 came with ULSD tolerant hoses and seals containing Viton (or equivalent). Hoses and seals on older tractors accustomed to LSD - would naturally swell over time. Switching to a steady diet of ULSD subsequently caused these hoses and seals to shrink - and eventually leak. So when you've got no choice but to use ULSD in your pre-2007 tractors, the hoses and seals should at some point be replaced with "ULSD-friendly" equivalents.

//greg// ....

Diesel Fuel Line

View my Photos
lencamp

2010-12-29          176007

That's what I was afraid of - been seeing it mentioned around the web - auto parts stores are clueless. Sounds like rubber lines, seals in sediment bowl maybe and hopefully the injector pump is OK ? ....

Diesel Fuel Line

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-12-29          176013

Hopefully. It's new territory for all of us who are not actually in the industry. My attitude is "when it starts leaking - fix it". But if you're nearing the end of a rebuild or restoration, I'm thinkin' you should be a little less fatalistic.

//greg// ....

Diesel Fuel Line

View my Photos
lencamp

2010-12-30          176049

Oh boy - I've got the tractor, an old plow truck, and an old motor home. Haven't seen any signs of rubber deterioration yet - am using what's at the gas station in all. At least my space heater won't be affected - I hope.

I'm thinking it can't be too serious or the guys at the auto parts stores would know about it. Maybe it takes years to happen ? ....

Diesel Fuel Line

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-12-30          176050

A year ago I bought a supposed "oil and fuel resistant" hose from Advance Auto when I put a hole in my truck's trans steel cooler line. Good thing I checked it a few days later. It had swelled twice its diameter and had delaminated the inner core from the outside. Replaced it with REAL hose from a trusted but more expensive non-chain store.

FWI, Advance sold me a hydrometer(?) for testing coolant specific weight---the little eye dropper looking thing with little plastic balls inside. I noticed that after testing all my equipment, all the readings were the same: protected to 20 below. Figuring this couldn't be right I tested pure tap water. Same result. Boy was I pissed. I called Advance HQ and their store and they would not do anything but refund my money. I told them they are lucky I caught THEIR mistake before I had freeze-cracked blocks. The store manager told me months later not one tester was recalled. ....

Diesel Fuel Line

View my Photos
Murf

2010-12-30          176055

Although I'm yet to see scientific evidence to back it up, I'm told that any 'quality' diesel additive (Power Service, etc., etc.) intended to 'fix' ULSD so it can be safely used in older diesels also contains the proper blend of additives to keep seals, lines and such from being affected by the new fuel.

Let's hope.

Best of luck. ....

Diesel Fuel Line

View my Photos
lencamp

2010-12-31          176066

I bought a slightly better grade floating disk antifreeze tester from NAPA - seems OK - like to compare it to other testers when I get the chance. I have a cheapo little bitty floating ball also and don't quite trust it. Seems to read a little better (lower temp protection) than the NAPA.

How did the readings compare when you got a good tester? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login