Go Bottom Go Bottom

YardMachines Lawn Tractor Stalls

View my Photos
efultz
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-06-19          131029

I have a YardMachines lawn tractor that seems to be having some kind of problem. I got it started for the season and it was running fine. But, for some reason, now when I start it the engine will stall. If I play with it - keeping the choke pulled and then releasing the choke slightly it will start to stall but if I then pull the choke it will keep running. I can do this for a bit after which I was able to get it to run full throttle without any choke. I sat there and let it run but after about a minute it stalled.

Can anyone give a suggestion what might be wrong? I checked the fuel filter (by putting a pump and pushing air through - I heard air coming out) so I assume that is not the problem. I opened the air filter and took it completely off and the problem still happens.

We did about an hour or more of mowing before the problem appeared. The grass being mowed was pretty high - but we had the mower deck set to it's highest level. Is there somewhere beyond fuel filter or air filter that could be the problem?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-19          131031

I would guess you stored it with gas in the carburetor and it turned into gel. It may be a good gas additive can clean it. I would still replace the filter and check to see if there is a filter in the tank an if it has gel on it.

There is gasoline stablizer that helps prevent this. ....

View my Photos
efultz

2006-06-19          131032

Wouldn't I have experienced this problem from the very beginning? If I spray carburetor cleaner do you think that might clean it out enough to correct the problem? ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-19          131033

I had a similar problem a few years ago on one from Home Depot with a Tecumseh engine. It was very tempermental (gave it to a friend). I would check for loose carb bolts. Does gas shoot out of the intake? Mine did. I've had other Briggs motors do that and they had worn piston rings. Once they warmed up it would ok but didn't have power and was a bear to restart. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-06-19          131036

You are being starved for gas. Sounds like the float needle is sticking. You need to add something to the gas not in the carb. It could be a little water in the carb bowl. I would pull the carb off, clean and check the bowl and reset the float. ....

View my Photos
efultz

2006-06-23          131320

I took the carburetor apart - all looked ok. It definitely acts as if it is not getting gas. I confirmed the fuel line is clear and replaced the fuel filter. I was able to get it started so I am going to make sure the tank is full and change the oil and see if it starts to behave. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login