Go Bottom Go Bottom

john deere 855 engine problem

View my Photos
kazemx
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-12          107889

Hi, I paid $1700 for a non starting 1988 john deere 855 with 1017 hr on it,thought I could get it to start? I have checked the realy it worked,primed fuel lines it got fuel,used ether nothing happend,removed injectors and tested was told #2 is weak, I took compresion #1 380,#2 60, #3 350 psi.Did leak down sounded leaking from the rings on#2,removed head looked ok valves all seted, no line in the cyl. or damage on the pistons. I have an option to get a used 755 engine,it cost $290 to rebuilt injectors,or is it a good idea to I rebuilt the engine, weare can I get cheep rebuild kit.Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-13          107890

I'd personally pass on the 755 engine. You'd lose ~20% horspower and torque in the deal. Sorta like taking the 360 outa your old Ford truck, and replacing it with a 302.

With only 1017 hours, I'd think a ring and valve job and a fuel delivery overhaul should do the trick on the 855 motor.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2005-03-13          107893

yeah, rebuild it. HOWEVER HAVE THE BLOCK AND HEAD "SONIC" CHECKED OR MAGNAFLUXED FOR CRACKES ITS WORTH THE INVESTMENT. ESPECIALLY WHEN ONLY ONE CYLINDER SEEMS TO BE DOWN CONSIDERABLY,ANY REAL RACE MOTOR SHOP WILL HAVE THIS EQUIPEMENT ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-13          107911

Have you had the oil pan off and inspected the bottom end yet? (connecting rods?)f #2 cylinder injector is weak and #2 cylinder compression is low; you could luck out and it could be that the #2 cylinder has been washed down so bad with fuel from the bad injector that the rings are badly worn. Even still, the engine should start on the other 2 cylinders. The check for cracks is a very good idea. Did you get fuel smoke when you attempted to start it before? The other item that comes to mind is that the injection pump is not properly timed and/or the cam gears are out of time. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-03-13          107912

For what you paid for it you have a lot of room to put money into it and still end up on top. Get you head checked. Then pull your pistons and hone the cyl.'s Call a dealer and get some specs for tolerances. If you are too far out get the the block machined and go from there. I rebuild engines all the all the time at work and price WITH labor is normally around $3000 with parts and machine shop work. If you are doing it your self you could save about half that. ....

View my Photos
Durwood7355

2005-03-13          107928

Hey Chief, could you e-mail me at trucker_durwood-yahoo.com
I would like to ask you something.

Thanks
Durwood ....

View my Photos
kazemx

2005-03-13          107944

Thanks all good suggestions,yes I got black smoke every time I cranked engine.I saw also toward the top of cyl. #2, #3 some round uneven steps. ....

View my Photos
dfkrug

2005-03-17          108158

"Round uneven steps"?

If your valves are hitting the pistons, they will leave round marks. For this to happen, your engine had to break a valve spring, get over-revved or suffer major damage to the timing gears. I have rebuilt 3 JD 955 motors and they are robust. There are 2 sizes of oversize pistons available if you need boring.

If your engine was over-revved and the valves floated against the piston(s), then your valve(s) is(are) bent, even if it is not visible to the naked eye. ....

View my Photos
engineguy

2005-03-19          108349

Sounds to me like you have over 5,000 hours on the engine. These engines Don't have much nickle in the blocks. There is a definate ridge where the rings end about a half inch from the top of the cyl. You will need to go oversize on the pistons. perhaps .010 or .020. I'm not sure how big the oversize pistons come. This is an easy fix, and it will add new life to your tractor. If your valves are good, your losing your compression past your pistons. Perhaps broken rings too. I would magnaflux your head too. Goodluck. ....

View my Photos
kazemx

2005-03-20          108424

Thanks engineguy you are right, it look like it has moor then 5000 hrs. I poured some gas into int. & ext. no leaks, then mesured cyl. walls #2 it was .016 over & #3 .011, book sys .010 oversize. I need to call John Deere to find out if I could go .020 and they sale parts for it if not I have to find a used one. They sale a short block for $3300.and I don`t feel like paying for that. ....

View my Photos
Hodado

2022-03-24          200930

I saw the old post about you having an engine for a 855 compact I know it’s old but I gotta ask if you still have an engine for sale,mines shot

View my Photos
Hodado

2022-05-28          201067

My 855 is in need of an engine replacement. I was told that mine cannot be repaired it spun the bearings At this point I do not know if I should sell it as salvage or continue looking for a replacement.The newer generation Yanmar engines will not fit and it is a shame that I cannot repair it because the rest of the tractor is still in good shape ....

View my Photos
Hodado

2022-07-25          201235

After months of searching I found a replacement engine for the 855 and have it repaired & it runs well
I need some help with the fuel gage not working and also it creeps way too much. Does anyone know how to possibly adjust the creep?
Thanks ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login