Go Bottom Go Bottom

Digging in Shale with Backhoe

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-13          96364

There is lots of shale in my neighborhood. I am helping a neighbor with a deck jambed up against a hill. We were clearing some ground to give him some room between the deck and the hill - it was easy going for 1/2 the job and then I hit shale with my 47 hoe on 4310 JD which slowed me to a crawl.

My wife tells me my daughter was great at finessing the shale when she dug a trench for me (in pics). Maybe that's what you need - just patience? Any hints on the best way to approach shale with a hoe? Or do I have to get out the old pick-axe? I hate shale :(

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-13          96367

Different strokes for different folks, in this case different ground types, LOL.

I have had the best success, and the least damage, by keeping the boom as vertical as possible and getting under the shale and then using the bucket curl against the bottom of the hole to pry upwards. This usually fractures it enough that the loose material can be scooped out easily. When you run out of loose material repeat the first part again.

Patience is critical, that or a REALLY big machine and just give'r ..... LOL

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-09-14          96407

Thanks for the advice Murf! Since I am not going to get a bigger machine I guess I'll just have to be patient and keep the pick-axe ready :) ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2004-09-17          96733

Here in southeastern Michigan we don't have shale, but we do have a lot of limestone which has to be excavated with explosives. In the winter we get frost from 4" to 18" thick---we use what are called "frost rippers" which is just a crescent-shaped shank about 24" long with a replaceable tooth. Some take the place of the bucket and some clamp to the bucket's cutting edge. You could probably make one out of 1" plate and weld a tooth on it. There are different types of teeth too---try ones that are split in the middle and look like a "Y"---they tend to be thinner and sharper to split apart/shatter things. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-09-18          96759

Something I saw several years ago and I haven't thought to try but a fellow had turned the bucket backwards on a hoe to get the teeth under the edges and to pop it up to loosen the shale then went after it with the bucket turned in the normal way. It worked for him on his older unit (non-compact)TLB but I've not seen it done since or before then but it was working. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login