Woods 9000 sub-frame backhoe: Back Hoe  -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum and Review Woods 9000 sub-frame backhoe: Back Hoe -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index

Kubota Tractors
  Kubota News
  Kubota Price
  Kubota Review
John Deere Tractors
  John Deere News
  John Deere Price
  John Deere Review
New Holland Tractors
  New Holland Tractor Price
  New Holland Tractor Revie
Other Tractor Brands
  Articulated Tractors
  Belarus
  Bobcat Tractors
  Case
  Cub Cadet
  Hinomoto
  Kioti Tractor
  Long
  Massey Ferguson
  Mitsubishi
  Other Tractor Brands
  Other Tractor News
  Shibaura
  Yanmar Tractors
Lawn and Garden Tractors
  Craftsman
  Cub Cadet Garden
  John Deere Garden
  Kubota Lawn Garden
  Other Garden Tractors
  Simplicity
  Toro Wheelhorse
  Ventrac Lawn Tractors
Antique Tractors
  Allis Chalmers
  Case David Brown
  Farmall IHC
  Ford
  Ford 9N 2N 8N
  Fordson
  Harry Ferguson
  John Deere Older
  Massey-Harris Ferguson
  Minneapolis Moline
  Oliver Cletrac Cockshutt
  Restoration
  Tractor Pulling
Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph
  Back Hoe
  Field Mowers Brush Cutter
  Grooming Mowers Finish Mo
  Loaders
  Snowblowers / Snow Plows
  Tillers and Ploughs
  Tractor Implements
  Trenchers
  Wood Chippers 3PH
Tractor Maintenance
  Diesel Fuel Lubrication E
  Tractor Engine Repair Reb
  Tractor Tires
Utility ATV
  All Terrain Vehicles
  John Deere Gator
  Mule Utility Vehicles
General Tractor
  Farming Ranching Agricult
  Photo Contest
  Size Tractor Needed
  Tractor Projects
  Tractor Safety
  Welding
Chinese Tractors
  Jinma Farmpro Agracat
  NorTrac Tractors
  Other Chinese Tractors
Cars
  All Brands
  Audi VW
  BMW
  Car Tires and Maintenance
  Chrysler
  Exotic, Sports, Racing
  Ford Cars
  General Motors
  Honda
  Hyundai
  Mercedes
  News
  Nissan
  Subaru
  SUV and Trucks
  Toyota Cars
Trucks Trailers
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
Home Building
  Alternate Electric Energy
  Barns Pole Barns
  Buying Ranch Farm Acreage
  Carpentry
  Contractors
  Electric
  Excavation
  Moldings Finish Trim
  Other Home Building
  Pellet Stoves
  Plumbing
  Wood Stoves
Tools
  Electirc Power Tools
  Gas Power Tools
  Generators
  Shop Tools
  Techniques Howto
Landscape
  Flowers Shrubs Garden
  Golf Course Maintenance
  Irrigation Systems
  Landscape Design
  Landscape Lighting
  Landscape Maintenance
  Lawn, Turf, and Grass
  Vegetable Gardening
Construction
  Caterpillar
  Komatsu
  Wheel Loaders
Current Events Health Happiness
  Current Events
  Dogs and other Pets
  Electronics And Computers
  Food
  Health
  Just For Fun Off Topic
  Movies Music Games
  Personal Finance Investme
  Sports Outdoors
Tractorpoint Site
  Member Photos
  Site Members
  Website Operations Howto

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Back Hoe Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 03-25-2000, 00:00 Post: 14148
Mike Adams

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 Woods 9000 sub-frame backhoe

Looked at a Woods 9000 back hoe mounted on a New Holland 2120 tractor with a sub-frame kit. My question is how easy is it to remove and reinstall hoe with this mounting system. Looks like where you have to line up frame to hoe when mounting is under tractor, can't see from seat, two man job? Hoe has lots of power and is smooth operating but want the ability to remove and reinstall by myself. Also was quoted a price of $6,900 for hoe with sub-frame installed. Plan to have this hoe mounted on a JD 4500 anybody with this setup already? Have also looked at JD 48 backhoe and biggest plus is the ease of mounting and removing hoe, hoe mounts tight to back of tractor, less overhand. Drawbacks are not all wear points have replacable bushings, one foot less reach, and a little less power than the Woods hoe. Any input from JD 48 hoe owners would be appreciated

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 06-14-2000, 14:13 Post: 17182
Paul Hastings

Filter by User

Mike,

Be careful mounting a backhoe to the back of a tractor only. There is a reason that companies make subframes for backhoes. Backhoes put a lot of stress on a tractor and a subframe helps distribute that stress over a larger section of the frame. This can be critical if you have a large backhoe on a small tractor.

Paul Hastings

06-14-2000, 21:25 Post: 17194
Jim Hardwick

Filter by User

2000-06-14

You might enjoy a couple of tidbits:

The JD 47/48 is a modified version of the Bush Hog 862h. There have been some problems with it falling off due to loose bolts & nuts, or something like that.

The Woods 9000 is rumored not to be built quite as well as its Bradco & Bush Hog competition, but I cannot say from experience. Supposedly Woods does not use the same valves, etc, as the others. But in non-daily use, would it matter?

My local JD dealer had a brand new Woods 9000 with 12 and 24 inch buckets and a subframe for the 4500-4700 series. Write me directly if you want to get in touch him. He would be competitive on it, I am sure, if he still has it.

Woods dealer costs are lower % of list than Bush Hog and some others. I am buying Bradco most likely, will report on it.

Jim

06-15-2000, 10:06 Post: 17214
Paul Hastings

Filter by User

Jim,

I work for Woods and I can tell you the 9000 is a solid unit. If you are not using the unit on a daily basis you might have a hard time telling who's backhoe has better valves or higher digging forces. My best advice to you is to sit on each backhoe you are considering and do some digging. It's like buying a car. Buy the one that fits your needs. I know I'm biased, but I think the Woods is more comfortable to operate for hours at a time. Good luck with your purchase whatever you buy.

07-29-2000, 03:03 Post: 18342
Jim Hardwick

Filter by User

7/29

Paul, thanks and I did not mean to ignore your reply. I esp appreciate anyone from a dealership or manufacturer who participates in these boards, and I will say that Woods has been very responsive to direct questions I have posed during my latest tractor buying project. In the time since you wrote, I have briefly used a 1050 Woods mounted on a JD 5310. I haven't ruled it out, esp since it seems impossible to put a Bradco 611 on my new NH small ag TN90F using a subframe (at least without permanently removing my lower link arms!). It did seem to be a big load for that machine, though, esp when swinging the hoe from side to side--really shook the 5310 each time it stopped. Not a really good test though, since I do not believe the salesman knew how to set up the tractor for me, and I have 0 experience with hoes. My NH is a bit heavier (6200 # range with no ballast).

For me, it comes down to the Woods 1050 and the Bradco 3511 (3 ph mounted med duty version of the 611). Comparisons are tough since no one dealer has both that I can find, and in fact the nearest 3511's are in NJ, a good ways from VA.

Are there any subframes for the 1050 (surely you don't make one for the TN90F, anyway So Sad)?

Jim

07-31-2000, 11:18 Post: 18400
Paul Hastings

Filter by User

Jim,

If you are looking at a Woods 1050 Backhoe, then you would mount that using an ASAE catagory II or III, or 3-point hitch. If you read my earlier posts you will see that I recommend using a subframe when possible. The 1050 BH is a large backhoe and it only fits on large tractors. For this reason we don't have subframes for the 1050. Woods makes no warranty concerning the structual integrity of any tractor's 3-point hitch or tractor frame housing assembly. The thing to remember on 3 point hitch mounted backhoes is make sure you have the proper top link pin installed. Woods provides a high strength top link pin for 3-point applications. Substitutions are not recommended.

You have the right idea talking to your dealer(s). They should have all the information you need to make an informed choice. Thank you for your interest in Woods Equipment.

Paul Hastings
Project Engineer
Woods Equipment Company

07-31-2000, 12:20 Post: 18404
Jim Hardwick

Filter by User

7/31

Let me again thank you for being willing to write in this forum. I hope everyone will respect that and understand that responses from folks like you are general and cannot be specific to anyone's precise/personal situation (how's that for a disclaimer). That's what dealers are for, but the breadth of knowledge that only engrs like you can bring to this group is a treasure, Paul.

BTW, my TN90F (NH) has a Cat II hitch and weighs over 6000# but is barely larger than a Boomer.

Could I get you to talk about the 2 numbers most often discussed when it comes to tractor mounted backhoes (after digging depth!)...Bucket force and dipperstick digging force? Which one is most important to the forces exerted back to the tractor? For example the 1050 has a relatively high dipperstick force, but somewhat lower bucket force. A competitor's unit has similar DS force to the 1050, but relatively higher bucket force, and they will not sell it without a subframe for the specific tractor, warning that the oomph of the high forces could result in ruptured bell housings, etc.

Also, which is the most stressful aspect of a tractor-mounted backhoe--transporting it or using it? Experts differ on this as you might know.

Jim

08-04-2000, 16:40 Post: 18518
Paul Hastings

Filter by User

Jim,

I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you, but I do have some answers for you.

Between bucket force and dipperstick forces, the bucket forces will have more impact on the tractor. This is assuming that you have the stabilizers down and are on level ground.

As for mounting a 1050 on a TN90F, I would urge you to consider a Woods BH9000 instead. The BH9000 has a subframe available. The TN90F is heavy enough to handle a 1050, however the 3-point hitch arms are offset quite a bit. As you pointed out the tractor is barely larger than a Boomer. Unless you absolutely must have the extra 1.5 feet I think that the BH9000 would make a much better fit for the TN90F and you would then be able to use a subframe which is in my opinion a much better method of attaching a backhoe to a tractor. A subframe will better spread the forces out over the tractor frame. People don't realize how much stress and strain a backhoe can produce on the prime mover.

You also asked what was the most stressful aspect of a tractor mounted backhoe, transporting it, or using it. As you pointed out the experts differ on their opinions. In my experience (as well as that of my colleagues) it is very case dependant. Sometimes transporting it will create more stress, sometimes the application will create more stress. I'm sorry that I can't give you a more definite answer, but again there are just so many factors that affect stress on the tractor.

If you have any more questions please feel free to email me.

Paul

06-24-2010, 16:11 Post: 171802
huntclan

Filter by User

My message is about the 1050bh made by Woods. I own one, made my own subframe out of 3x3" 3/8 wall square tubing, it bolts to the cross member for the 838 loader on my 383 4wd massey tractor (75 to 80 hp. I made it so that the only strain is up under the rear axles and all that happens is the outriggers pickup the rear of the tractor and the weight is carried by the tubing, and distrbuted to the loader frame, none of the joints in the tractor ie. the 4 wd bolted splice, the clutch splice, carry the weight of the backhoe without the assistance of the tubing frame.
The backhoe itself is a peach, I love it. After using it for awhile one starts to see the engineering that went into it, and the care that was taken to fabricate it. I ordered it with the thumb, what a great help this is, I am cleaning up hayfields-- buckthorn shrubs, Sumach,etc. I loosen up the roots, bend the tree over, grab it with the thumb, and rip it out, pile them up to scoop later with front end loader forks.
Well done Woods for this piece of equipment, my dealer in Lindsay, Bob Mark New Holland, suggested it, he said "compare the weight of this unit to others--- the meat is there."

06-24-2010, 16:28 Post: 171803
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Welcome to the forum neighbour!!!

I'm somewhere about an hour west of you over towards Lake Simcoe, small world huh?

The post may be helpful to some folks, you've got some good info there, but the post you replied to is now nearly 10 years old.

Best of luck.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Back Hoe Forum

Thread 14148 Filter by Poster:
auerbach 1 | davesml 1 | hardwood 1 | huntclan 2 | Jim Hardwick 3 | Mike Adams 1 | Murf 1 | Paul Hastings 4 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
cowrider

Belarus - Rear hydraulic outlet-settin up hydraulic top link
Rear hydraulic outlet-settin up hydraulic top link

Unanswered Questions

Belarus 825 - needs a new clut
Drain Cock
Need more hydraulic flow for s
HINOMOTO HB 501
Belarus 420A - Problems bleed

Active Subjects

460 Long hyd leak
460 axle
Key will not start engine
6x4 engine rebuild vsHarbor Fr
Things we say and what do they
The Plus and Minus of Ignoring
Looking to buy a New Pickup Tr
Need more hydraulic flow for s

Hot Topics

Tractor Category 1 2 3 Hitch s
Duerr hp 678 Chipper replaceme
Gator 620i gas in engine oil
KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
Gator 6x4 Overheating problem
Duerr hp 678 Chipper Manual
Adjusting 7308 Pressure Relief
Long 460 hydraulic problem

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Woods 9000 sub-frame backhoe
+ Backhoe Hydraulic Hose Line Set up
+ Kit Built Backhoe Review Advice
+ small backhoe bucket
+ Taylor-Way backhoe Reviews
+ Case backhoe value-kelly blue book
+ subframe vs 3 point
+ JD model 48 backhoe attachment plates for JD 4600
+ kelly backhoe