Go Bottom Go Bottom

Trout Season Day in the life

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-03-13          186388

In NJ trout opening day is just around the corner. My son just got interested in fishing so I am going out for the first time in quite a long while.

We just had some heavy rain flooding the streams we will be fishing and I was wondering what happens to the fish in flood waters. Do they get washed down to the nearest calm water or lake etc.? When I was kid I lived next to a brook that would flood occasionally. Many of the fish would wind up in the flood plain areas where the water was calmer, and then be trapped on dry land as the flood waters recede.

Here most trout are the hatchery variety. I have heard they don't have a keen survival instinct. Used to being fed at a certain time they use too much energy during the day swiming against the current rather then resting and hunting for food.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-03-14          186396

Dennis,first off I don't know a trout from a catfish, well I really do, but I'm just not very well versed in fishing. When the granddkids were younger they liked to visit a fish hatchery in north east Iowa. They have peanut machines like at the old gas stations that you could put quarters in and get a handfull of fish food. The water would just boil with little fish when they tossed the food in.
On one occasion when we were there they were loading the fish transport trucks with bigger trout to be taken to the trout streams mostly locally. Anyhow I noticed quite a few cars and pickups that followed the trucks as they left the hatchery, so I ask one of the workers what that was about. He said those folks stop by often to check on when the fish will be taken out to streams then follow the fish trucks to the streams and line the banks fishing below where the fish are dumped.
That didn't seem fair to the fish to me, but the worker said that's why they haul them out is for someone to catch.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-03-14          186397

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwood | view 186396
.......On one occasion when we were there they were loading the fish transport trucks with bigger trout to be taken to the trout streams mostly locally. Anyhow I noticed quite a few cars and pickups that followed the trucks as they left the hatchery, so I ask one of the workers what that was about. He said those folks stop by often to check on when the fish will be taken out to streams then follow the fish trucks to the streams and line the banks fishing below where the fish are dumped.That didn't seem fair to the fish to me, but the worker said that's why they haul them out is for someone to catch.Frank.

In NJ there are laws on that you are not allowed to fish on the Posted stocking day and the day after. I think they are stocked on Thursday, so it stinks for those who are off during the week and is great for those who only have the weekend. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2013-04-22          186791

My son and I have been trying our hand at trout fishing this season.

So far we have seen lots of people who have caught trout, but we are still empty handed.

Been trying to go to the stream as soon as is legal after the stocking day to no avail.

I have migrated from using worms to using powerbait. We got advice from an angler with 5 trout on his belt to get shorter light rod 4 to 4.5 feet, and use 4lb line, no swivels, tie your hook directly to line use very small weight.

We went out again last night with new Ugly Stiks light short rods and tackle as advised, as we drove to the stream true to form we saw a kid about nine being photographed by his dad with the biggest trout I have ever seen!

Well we were angling for a couple of hours and I'd have to say no bites, no strikes whatsoever, could of been in a bathtub at home.

We are still using 6 lb line as the 4 lb was sold out, doubt that would make a difference. We will keep at it.

Sooner or later I may have to go to the fish market and buy some trout so the wife thinks we are not complete duds LOL ....

View my Photos
richwaugh
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-05-04          186862

Definitely go to the 4# test line. I might even go so far as to tie on a tippet of 2# test about 24-30" long and then the hook. Use the smallest hook that will reasonably retain the bait, and be sure it is sharp.

You won't want more than one or possibly two slit shot for weight about 16-20" above the hook. The more weight you use, the faster the bait goes down, but also the more difficult it is becomes for you to feel a bite. Trout don't hit hard like a mad bass, they just pickup the bait and begin to move away with it, so when you sense movement, set the hook with a sharp flick of the rod tip and a simultaneous pull in of the line with your free hand.

Don't let the bait just lie there - twitch it a bit every few seconds or pull it slowly toward you. Trout are attracted to movement. Trout also like to eat other smaller trout. Small minnows make good bait.

Best times to fish are usually early morning, first two hours after sunrise and last two hours before sunset.

Have fun! Explore the streamside and stream bottom to see what insects are active - fish eat those and will show a preference for whatever insect happens to be hatching. Besides, it is good education for the boy. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2013-05-04          186865

Finally caught one with 4lb line directly tied hook to line no weights with powerbait corn off a bridge just floating the line to a slow spot near a broken dam.

Finally caught one with 4lb line directly tied hook to line no weights with powerbait corn off a bridge just floating the line to a slow spot near a broken dam.<br>
<br>
[p]http://tractorpoint.com/ctb/memberPhotos/dennisctb29.jpg[/p]<br>
<br>
I generally just cast and let the bait float down stream then reel it back in slowly and start again.  I sometimes use a bobber 20 inches up the line, but that is probably bad practice.<br>
<br>
I 'll try the 2 lb leader.  Without waders its really hard not to get tangled and hard to be in the best spots...<br>
<br>
When we came home again empty handed we again saw a guy that had a huge rainbow the size of a salmon :(<br>
<br>
Some say you need to be incognito so the fish don't see you, we saw some people wearing hunting camo gear.  Looks like the good fishermen have the breathable waders and all tan clothing.<br>
<br>
We were fishing in the drop dead beautiful spot before a rapid where a guy in waders was on the the other side.  i watched him catch 5 trout in 30 minutes.  I guess my son and I were driving the fish to his side, plus he knew what he was doing :(

I generally just cast and let the bait float down stream then reel it back in slowly and start again. I sometimes use a bobber 20 inches up the line, but that is probably bad practice.

I 'll try the 2 lb leader. Without waders its really hard not to get tangled and hard to be in the best spots...

When we came home again empty handed we again saw a guy that had a huge rainbow the size of a salmon :(

Some say you need to be incognito so the fish don't see you, we saw some people wearing hunting camo gear. Looks like the good fishermen have the breathable waders and all tan clothing.

We were fishing in the drop dead beautiful spot before a rapid where a guy in waders was on the the other side. i watched him catch 5 trout in 30 minutes. I guess my son and I were driving the fish to his side, plus he knew what he was doing :( ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2013-05-04          186867

DennisCTB,

Trout will focus on the particular insect hatch that is presently taking place. If you ask around, you'll soon be able to determine which bait to use.

A small fly, tied directly to your line, usually works well. However, the fly you use must appear much like the primary insect hatch going on at the time.

Please see the link below.

Joel ....

Link:   Insect hatch timetable eastern U.S.

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2013-05-04          186868

Thanks Rich and Joel,

Can you use flies with a short spin rod set up? ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2013-05-06          186873

Dennis,

It is possible to use a fly with a standard fishing rod, but it's not as easy as using a weighted fly line and a fly line rig.

You'll have to experiment with using very small weights and light fishing line. I've found it very difficult to cast into the wind when using small weights. It would help a whole lot if you can find a spot where you'll have the wind to your back.

If you happened to take a look at the insect hatch chart I posted earlier, you may have noticed that you really only need to purchase a few flies to get you through the entire trout fishing season.

I'm a bit jealous, because we don't have much for trout fishing here in North Dakota.

Joel ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login