Go Bottom Go Bottom

Defend against Bear without Gun

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-01-23          186035

We have a occasions where black bears came too close for comfort while hiking and biking on trails in NJ.

Besides a gun, rifle, or bow and arrow is there anything that would be of any use in defending/discouraging a bear?

As opposed to having nothing would a baseball bat be useful? A ski pole like walking stick? A bowie knife for some hand to hand. Or maybe a prayer book ;-)

Interested in all ideas, light weight ones for biking as well.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-01-24          186042

12 gage flare gun with capsicum rounds. Legal in almost all states. It has rock salt with natural plant pepper extract. The open wound burns like hell. It will take down a "Grizz" but you better run. After the initial shock, he will be pissed and want to get even. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2013-01-24          186045

It's not what you use, but how you use it.

Like the old saying "One Marine, one shot, one kill.".

We use paint ball guns. The combination of noise at the muzzle, where the paintball hits, and the lack of retreating. If you manage to put a round or three on target (a paintball gun is about as accurate as a politician during an election speech), it's REALLY effective.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Woodie
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-01-25          186056

OR follow this advice which I found on a sign and several web pages---
--
""Bear Warning!

In case you're heading for the wilderness on vacation ...

In light of the rising frequency of human - grizzly bear conflicts, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert of bears while in the field.

They advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren't expecting them. They also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear. It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity.

Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat. Black bear scat is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear scat has little bells in it and smells like pepper.""

Not sure if that was a spoofed sign or actual... well at least a bit of humor to shake the nerves off

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login