Go Bottom Go Bottom

Shibaura electrical problem

View my Photos
baurasd4043
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-09-15          165654

I am having trouble with my ignition... it's not getting any power to the ignition...I can jump it and start it at the sylenoid. I have checked all the fuses(4) on the firewall and they appear to be in good shape. can anyone tell me of any other fuses that they have found or know where else to look for another main fuse possibly? any help or advice will be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-09-15          165655

Never seen one, but check for a bad safety interlock (e.g., seat or clutch pedal), the start-switch itself, and the starting-circuit wires/terminals. ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-09-15          165656

Shibauras are diesel tractors. Diesels use compression ignition, not spark ignition. So technically you don't HAVE an "ignition" system. Do you perhaps mean that your starter solenoid isn't engaging? or that your starter motor isn't turning?

//greg// ....

View my Photos
baurasd4043

2009-09-15          165672

I guess.. to my understanding you still need volts to turn the starter and the ignition doesnt have any volts...this is my first diesel tractor so any help would be interested. I was told there should be a fuse link I could check at the starter or the battery. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2009-09-15          165673

Not impossible, but I wouldn't waste much time looking for a fusible link on a Shibaura. I'd start by cleaning both battery posts, then putting a charger on it while cleaning all four battery cable connections.

If a fully charged battery and clean connections don't do the trick, bypass those interlocks that were first mentioned. You do that by putting the tractor in neutral, setting the brakes, applying half throttle, and jumpering the solenoid posts with a large screwdriver (with an insulated handle). If that starts it, suspect a bad interlock or a bad keyswitch.

Do you know if your tractor has a compression release? And if yes, are you using it when trying to start a cold engine?

//greg// ....

View my Photos
baurasd4043

2009-09-17          165719

I have already started it bu jumping the solenoid and It cranks perfect when I do that... so you think it could be a bad switch even though the hot lead shows no resistance? ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2009-09-17          165720

Depending upon which country it was made for, there could be up to three switches involved. They were already mentioned: ignition, clutch interlock, seat interlock. Sounds like you only checked so far for one out of a possible three. The starting circuit is a go-no go concept. All switches in that circuit must close before voltage will get to the starting solenoid. A failure of any one, disables the circuit.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
baurasd4043

2009-09-21          165809

I located the problem... a fusible link on the solenoid was bad I replaced it....now its good to go thanks for your help. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login