Go Bottom Go Bottom

pto hp

View my Photos
mphillips
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-02-19          124808

ok guys this is my first post. i have a 855 jd. has fel on it and is 4wd. pto hp is rated 19 hp. i am ordering a kk 48 gear drive and says it is rated 20 hp.and i think weighs in around 600 pds. do you think i would have a problem with the one hp diff.. thanks mike

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

pto hp

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-20          124812

Of course it's best to have enough or even a bit more than recommended HP but it should still work ok for you. It will all depend on the soil you plan on tilling. Sandy soil will be easier than heavy clays. In tough going you may have to use a lower gear and go slower. I would try it.
Dave ....

pto hp

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-20          124818

Just take things as slow and easy as the tractor will accomodate. Having hydrostatic drive in this case is a big plus as it allows you an infinitely variable range of speeds. Just choose a rate of speed that allows you to maintain pto rpm and is not excessively loading the tractor's engine. Also be sure the slip clutch has been properly run in if the tiller has been setting outside for any length of time and is properly adjusted. Even a brand new slip clutch can get water in it and the plates rust together. ....

pto hp

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-02-20          124834

You also may need to take several passes getting deeper with each one. Truct your instinct. If you are getting the willies, then don't push it. Easier to go a bit slower and not break things than to push it and face an expensive repair. ....

pto hp

View my Photos
mphillips

2006-02-20          124865

thanks for the reply. tractor supply does have a 48 xb kk. chain drive. its rated at 15 to 25 i think. its more money than the gear drive.(seems backward to me) but anyway thanks again. mike ....

pto hp

View my Photos
Ironpeddler

2006-02-24          125052

You are in FLA and tilling there in the sand is nothing compared to red clay. You should be able to handle the larger KK gear drive unit. The Chain drive unit is made by Sicma. ....

Link:   CCM Gear drive Tillers

pto hp

View my Photos
bluefishbeagle

2006-05-09          129130

I have a Branson 2810 (28hp at the PTO) and wanted a tiller that would cover my tire tracks (68in). the KK 72 in seemed to be a good choice but is rated at 35HP min. Rolled the dice and the Branson 2810 never complained as long the the soil is not unreasonably wet and I run enough engine rpm's to keep the pto turning at 540.

pto hp

View my Photos
Ironpeddler

2006-10-25          136312

The 35 HP refers to the Gearbox HP not the HP needed to run the tiller. You should be able to operate the tiller with your tractor but in some soils you may not be able to till at the full depth. You can just make another pass. ....

pto hp

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-10-26          136342

iron: He stated the Minimum Recommended HP is 35. On face value that should be observed for several reasons, one of which is-- taken out of context---a newbie could extrapolate on your second sentence that if 28 will do then why not 25, or 20 or 16? A 6' tiller weighs a lot so you wouldn't want to tell a guy go ahead and use it when he might end up doing wheelies as he tries to lift it out out of sticky soil. I have 3pt Harley rake that I shouldn't have gotten for my machine because it weighs so much--I had to add front weights on my 33hp 4x NH. ....

pto hp

View my Photos
Ironpeddler

2006-10-26          136348

Our CCM 72" MR190 works fine on 25-70 HP tractors. Our MR190 actually weights more than the King Kutter. We have hundreds of the MR190 tillers out there in the field on 28-32 HP tractors,mostly Kubota's & JD tractors.
A Harley rake is a totally different implement than a tiller so it's hard to compare the two. ....

Link:   Gear Drive Tiller Headquarters

Picture Link
Operating and Attachments pto hp

pto hp

View my Photos
bluesatoh

2008-03-12          152091

:I have a Satoh S370D 15 hp pto rated 13hp I use a 48" rotiller in KY. soil anywhwere form clay rocky on use first gear low range around 3/4 throddle. You could not ask for it to work any better. bluesatoh ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login