Go Bottom Go Bottom

tiller advice

View my Photos
Loren
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-02-02          123966

I'm looking for tiller advice as I plan on starting a tilling and lawn seeding business this spring. My tractor is going to be a JD 3720 and I'm wondering which is the best and sturdiest tiller for the money. Our soils vary from sand to heavy clay but my biggest concern is for the rocks. I talked to a local King Kutter dealer this morning and he wouldn't endorse his tiller for commercial application. Price wass half of a Deere and it had no chain case as it was all gear drive. He thought it wouldn't take the rocks. Wondering what you fellas thought about this. Or is the Kuhn the one to get. I plan on sod breaking for tree rows as well as cultivation.
TIA
Loren

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

tiller advice

View my Photos
jong3430

2006-02-02          123977

Loren,
You might want to check out the previous thread on rotary tillers as it was helpful to me. Just a couple key items; Make sure your PTO HP is enough to operate the tiller sufficently, make sure the tiller is wide enough to cover your tracks or at least slides, gear driven seem to be popular however I think King Kutter and First Choice are chain driven and come highly recommended. Last but not least, Woods, LandPride, Frontier are well known for their HD tillers, but are more expensive. There are other high quality, not so dealer mainstream brands like CCM and First Choice that might be good alternatives, and they run around $1500 give or take depending on size!
Good Luck it can be mind boggling!
Jon ....

tiller advice

View my Photos

2006-02-04          124064

jong3430
The Kutter brand is gear driven with a slipclutch and shear pin. I sometimes wonder if these dealers have ever used any of the stuff they sell? I have used my Kutter side by side with a buddy who has a Deere and there is basically no difference. I bought via Fleet Farm - dont feel I need a dealer bias thrown in. If you look each type over, you will find most are pretty much the same - gear driven that is - so get the cheapest that will do the job. I am no brand fan except for Kubota.
doc ....

tiller advice

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-04          124067

For the dollar spent, the King Kutter is the way to go in my opinion. You can nearly buy 2 of them for the price of a Deere or Land Pride tiller. If you are set on a commercial duty tiller; Land Pride makes the RTA 35 but I think the reverse tine RTR 20 might work better. ....

Link:   Land Pride RTR 20 Reverse Tine Tiller

tiller advice

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-05          124115

Gear or chains both can fail when the driveline sin't propected properly or not maintained. I've seen the teeth missing from both sprocket and gear. The Kuhn has been giving our customers the best bang for the buck for longevity and production. ....

tiller advice

View my Photos
WillieH

2006-02-07          124160

Loren,
Be mindful of what your tractor's 3pt lifting capabilities are. The weight of any given tiller may fall into the window of the tractor's abilities when dry, but get heavy wet clay mixed around the tines and you add ALOT more weight and potential for damage or injury if the tiller is too heavy to start with.

Although there are two schools of thought regarding covering a width that is wider than your track, or, having a narrower unit, with lighter weight with offset capabilities. Both ways work fine, however...

...your post stated that you will be doing sod cutting. This can be one of the most challenging tasks for a tiller, depending on conditions of the ground. You will be best to make a pass, then half dress what was just tilled on your return pass, while taking a half pass of untilled along with it, thereby always having at least half of the tiller width, engaged in a tillable soil content (short of the initial pass).

To make this easier again, in some cases, what I have done was to either bottom plow the area first or run my harrow thru the are first, just to "slice and dice" if you will, first. This makes it alot easier handling for the tiller, tractor, and you.

I have been running my tiller (BEFCO) for nearly 20 years. It has offset ability, as well as "overwidth" for my track. The beauty, its weight is half of Deere or Landpride, so it really does not come close to taxing the abilities of the tractor driving it hence allowing me to have a larger tiller. Yes, it is chaincase equipped, with slip clutch.

- Willie H ....

tiller advice

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-02-19          124803

I have not used my new tiller yet (so I am talking about prior knowlege and use of a tiller with a skid steer)
Hands down, if your planning on tilling sod (and you have 2 weeks to spare or more) Hit the plot with 41% Glysophate (Round up or its generic). You would not believe the difference haveing dead vegitation under your tiller makes verse live rooted growing turf. With all surface vegitation dead, your talking one pass tilling again plus it will incorporate into the new seed bed much better. Allow a few weeks for the new weed seeds that reach the serface to germinate. Hit it again with round up and your good to go on your seed bed. Best method I have ever found working with food plots. Round up is worth its weight in gold for time savings and weed free new grass. ....

tiller advice

View my Photos
JBarron

2006-02-22          124939

Brokenarrow,
Your Roundup technique sounds good but I'd like to know what you're doing to prepare the plot for planting after the second application of Roundup.
After killing the weeds with the first application and tilling the soil, you're saying to wait a few weeks to hit it again with Roundup to kill the addition weeds brought to the surface by tilling. Will I not have to till the soil again before broadcasting the seed? What implement are you using to prepare the seed bed after the second spraying. By tilling again, want it bring additional weeds to the surface?
Johnny ....

tiller advice

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-02-22          124976

I know time is of importance, I usually Tii with my JD 47 and then I put Chicken Mesh up arounf the entire garden and put in about 15 Chickens for a few days and their droppings and love of eating seeds make a good garden, when I till again in the Fall, I put the Chickens there again to eat any corn, tomatoes, cukes etc that are left and then I use Black Plastic over the dirt. I remove the plastic when the snow is gone.
I tried Straw, got weeds from it. This method seems to work the best, so far.
I love the JD 47 and had an Ole 55 on my JD 400 that I used for many years. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login