Go Bottom Go Bottom

Concern for building stability

View my Photos
southil
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2016-08-27          195680

Where I work they recently finished a pole barn set on concrete slab. Posts are 3,2x6 on 8 foot centers. post are anchored into the concrete slab. Height at eave is 14'.

Last week a rack was constructed out of 1/4 steel tubing with 2 sides cut out forming an L. The upright has 2 4x4 steel horizontals 24" out and is 12' tall. There are 8 posts with rack attachments in total.

These were fastened to the posts with 8- 1/2" dia. lag screws, four on the face of the post and four on the side.There is no mounting plate on the floor.

The plan as I understand it is to utilize these racks to hold some long, heavy pieces of steel. Total weight will be around 21,000 pounds.

I have a concern that the lags will eventually loosen and cause the rack to become unstable. I am also concerned that the building wall will actually be pulled off plumb and result in the same failure.

Is my concern justified or am I just overly cautious?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-08-29          195696

Was the pole barn built by a reputable construction firm? ....

View my Photos
southil

2016-08-29          195697

They have built several around for company and have always supplied sealed drawings. Work is first rate. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-08-29          195706

Is this the first one to use the rack? Who designed the rack them or your company? If they have used it in other locations with no problem why concern now? kt ....

View my Photos
southil

2016-08-31          195716

This is the first rack I have ever seen fabricated in this fashion. Was designe and fabricated by a rigging company.

Load is actually on 6 posts, not 8 that was in original post.

Rack was loaded up today with approximatley 23,000 of steel. Within 4 hours we noticed the bottom of the face of the L had pulled away from the post about 1/2" .

Safety manager and boss tell me it's no concern. ....

View my Photos
minimac

2016-09-01          195719

That looks like your concern has some merit. Hope you are not the guy with the fork lift loading it up. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login