Go Bottom Go Bottom

Pole Barn advice and help before building

View my Photos
cheychey10
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-05-31          190403

So my fiancé and I are looking to build a pole barn for a house when we get some land.I herd we have to have permits to build one.What kind do we need and how much do they normally cost?I live in Missouri.whats the best way to build it and to make sure we stay cool and warm when needed?we would be building it ourselves.azny other tips and help would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-06-04          190439

Building permits and building codes can vary greatly. You need to check with your county on that. Probably a phone call to the building department can answer those questions or get you close. Do note if this is a true farm some areas have different regulations on them or if a true commercial operation again different regulations on those. I would suggest you make a information gathering phone call to begin with sharing as little info as you can. Here calling the building a "shop" compared to "barn" makes major differences in plans cost, building options and so forth.

As to the building itself would suggest you try and find building like you want and begin with asking that owner. Strongly suggest you do a lot of looking at buildings for there are many options and there can be wide variance in cost on similar buildings. ....

View my Photos
jdurb1

2014-06-22          190505

if its zoned ag no permits should be required tell the tax assessor to stay off property he can view google earth. use manufactured trusses as you need something to screw drywall ceiling into 2 ft on center fill space between perlins with 1 1/2 in foam board house wrap and tape every thig with gorilla tape this will keep bugs from getting through tin and give increadable insulation value.i ran flex ducts through attic as there is no crawl space run water lines inside of house they cannot go inside of walls because they will freeze at every post only thing under house is 1 very large drain. backfill all the way around building with gravel not dirt or you will have a colonie of mice . love my barn house built it 10 years ago alone with no help cost 15000.00 plus well and septic witch I hired out .another big plus is low taxes ....

View my Photos
robot11

2014-09-07          191046

Permits depend on your location, I just finished my pole bldg. house and I was able to be AG Exempt because I farm my land and make a certain amount off my land. The one thing I would recommend is not buying a Lester Bldg. That's what I bought, Lester Bldgs. engineered it, provided me with one of their Lester Dealer/Builders who they recommended as doing "Good Work", which was a lie. When they were done I found that I had 25 roof leaks where they didn't install scews into Purlins, 8 Purlins not nailed at all and could have blown my roof off, I paid extra for roof dripstop which they shorted me on, I paid extra for 3/4" plywood on all exterior walls but they shorted me on that, Gaps/Openings in my roof valleys where wind had blown into the attic and blew my insulation away rain coming in too, a lot of my soffit only had one staple holding it on, facia boards barely on the trusses and nails missed truss, facia covers not cut to fit properly & hung down an inch on the ends. I paid an Amish crew just weeks ago to come in and fix these problems, but before I did I called the Lester Bldgs Regional Manager out to see if Lester Bldgs would fix my Lester Bldg, but Lester Upper Management said they didn't feel any responsibility and would not help, so I paid the Amish crew to fix my Lester Building. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login