Go Bottom Go Bottom

Need advice to remove nailed-on metal barn siding

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-07-07          155149

I may be dismanting a three-car garage/pole barn. It has metal siding that is nailed on with the standard rubber-gasketed siding nails. I don't want to damage the siding as it's in great condition. And I have to do this economically and quickly before it gets torn down. I knwo from experience just a claw hammer and a block of wood won't work. There's gotta be some sort pneumatic "slide hammer" out there. If not, hmmmm--- maybe I'll make one!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-07-07          155154

A good nail puller works (with a block to keep it from damaging the siding where it levers against it). Those gaskets don't provide any holding power; they're just a water seal, and make pulling easier because the nail isn't in as far as it could be. Have fun. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2008-07-07          155157

The big boys use a large pair nipper cutter,pliers. They have a rod welded on one handle with a slide weight.

I works just like a slide hammer with a solid bite on nail. I watched these guys only use one slide most of time sometimes 2-3 depending on wood condition. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-07-08          155168

Yup, Harvey nailed it! (pun intended LOL )

Have a look at the McMaster-Carr site (see link below) and what you are looking for is part # 6094A31 which is item 'G' in the upper row of pictures.

If that won't take them out clean, give up.

Any good hardware place should have something similar, but watch out for the cheap alternatives, they don't have a place for your second hand, just a lever arm that will put a dent in the siding.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   McMaster-Carr

View my Photos
anthonyc12
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-09-20          188000

carefully grind the heads off

A cordless 4.5" grinder with a spare battery would be nice .. if u have one or could borrow one ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login