Go Bottom Go Bottom

Building new pole barn

View my Photos
kskwash
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-06-21          112629

I am about to be ready to begin construction on a 24 x 30 pole barn. I have seen one for sale from a company called Sutherlands. Has anyone built one of these pole barns ?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Building new pole barn

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-22          112640

Not familiar with Sutherlands, but I am familiar with the size you are proposing. I built a 28 x 36, and ran out of room before I was moved in. Make sure you consider the size carefully. ....

Building new pole barn

View my Photos
shinefeak
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-22          112642

I'll second Beagle's comment. Just getting a 24x40 together and wish I had gone bigger. ....

Building new pole barn

View my Photos
MacDaddy

2005-06-22          112644

Understanding that no one has probably ever regretted building a barn that was too big, I must respectfully disagree (in theroy) with the conventional-wisdom of bigger is better. Bigger just encourages the accumulation of crap. I would give some serious thought to your intend use. Then I would make it slightly larger than needed. Build what you can afford. Why build an airport hanger?You'll just have to spend more money to fill it. And chances are, you wont really need half the stuff you fill it with. JMHO... Sorry, I probably sound like your wife;)

Building new pole barn

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-06-22          112652

LOL In my case I'd build an airport hangar and my wife would fill it. And not with anything good. To the OP, I've always thought steel buildings were generally better than pole barns. Have you priced those? ....

Building new pole barn

View my Photos
kskwash

2005-06-26          112777

I have not tried that. Is there any good web sites to check for hangers ?
Kevin ....

Building new pole barn

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-06-26          112780

I was just kidding about building a hangar, but if you really want to they are just BIG steel buildings so any steel building manufacturer should be able to arrange it. ....

Building new pole barn

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-07-08          113176

For anyone that can take a business tax deduction on a pole building, I looked into metal ones on e-bay for example. They and others have finance co's. that told me that if I can write if off, go with a 5-year lease and then I can pay $1 to have it put in my name. Leases on a metal building can be depreciated over 5 years versus a wood/metal pole building that takes 27 or 28 years. Reason is a metal buildings, in theory, can be easily disassembled and repossessed if you default on the loan. A 40x60 would have cost me abou $280 a month. ....

Building new pole barn

View my Photos
scout180

2005-07-08          113185

Run a Google search on steel buildings. I bought my 24X36 from ARCO...very satisfied. I put right at $11K init turnkey. Due to need for lots of cement, etc. to raise the lot to keep away from our floodable creek, I had more than another 11K in concrete work, again all contracted. All I've done is the wiring.

Link: http://www.arcosteel.com/ ....

Building new pole barn

View my Photos
chrisscholz

2005-07-10          113227

I like the idea about buying a metal barn and leasing it for 5 years, for better write-off. What companies have you seen, and can they get them to look like a nice horse barn on the outside? We will be using ours as a second garage/storage, but I wanted it to look different than your typical suburban shed.

Building new pole barn

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-07-10          113229

Chris: I'm not sure what you mean by a typicial suburban shed.
Metal buildings can be configured pretty much any way you want them---like they say "it's only money". Check out FBi buildings. They have an assortment of buildings, most or all of which are not "metal" buildings. They have some innovative designs and are the builders also. Check out their concrete sub-posts. Metal buildings cost about 1/3 to 1/2 more than wood and metal but the tax incentives are there for all metal. ....

Link:   FBi pole barns and the like

Building new pole barn

View my Photos
bmlekki

2005-07-14          113449

earthwrks, Your web link brought me to mircosoft.com ...hmmmm..
anyway, i starting to ponder if i want to build and barn or ad d on to my existing shed. its 16x20 right now and i was thinking of adding a 12x20 lean-to on it, but it was there when i bought the place and its sitting up blocks.
Then i wonder it i want to go new steel building 30x30...
the link below is what i'm looking at from premiersteel.org. Looks good... price seems reasonable. have no idea though..

Link:   

Click Here

Building new pole barn

View my Photos
praha4752

2007-07-23          143960

I need some storage space , like 15 x 40, at my hunting place. Inexpensive.
I am thinking 6" slab, and 2x4 walls, simple roof. In UP Michigan.....................DO I Need a foundation, or just 6" slab would be OK for a stick built??????????????
More or less workshop, Atv , tractor storage.
Tahnks for your comment.

Joe ....

Building new pole barn

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-07-23          143962

Paraha; I'm afraid you would be wasting your money to set the walls of a building on a slab. You need a stem wall that goes a bit deeper than your normal frost penetration. The standard around here, (Eastern Iowa)is 42 inches below grade. If you are subject to any local building codes, I'm sure that your plan wouldn't be approved. If you are going to put the time and money into a building the footing and stem wall will make it a bit more exoensive but well worth it, the building will stand for a long time. Frank. ....

Building new pole barn

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-07-23          143978

praha, Im near Detroit and the footingas have to be a min. 42"---I think they are much deeper in the UP, as is the roof snow load rating, which down ehre is 30 lb. per sq. ft.---might be 2-3 times that in the UP--just guessing. We get about 30 inches of snow per season down here. Up there you can get 6' in one snow fall.

Have you thought about (2) 8' x 40' steel shipping containers side by side? You can cut window and door openings easily. Out west they stack them and turn them into homes and offices. They don't need a foundation either---just put them up on blocks or piers--or on the ground (but they'll rust quicker)
I've seen guys use them spread apart and a flat or peaked roof between them ....

Building new pole barn

View my Photos
praha4752

2007-07-24          143984

Thanks,

I was affraid , that I'll read this kind of answer.
My place is close to Iron Mountain, east part of UP w/ annual snowfall 75". Nobody will see anything, no permit needed.I think, never applied for any.
5 years ago I built a screen house 10x10 , home made truses, one day the entire frame was done , next day roof and screen and a small patio. Next weekend a paint job.
2x6 base 2x4 verticals, luan walls. the only expensive item was a paint. 6 years later all looks like new. I stopped there in the winter 2 years ago while snowmobiling/and staying in the motel/, and it was burried in snow, I only saw a top 1/3. I thought I could get away with a similar concept, just a LITTLE more durable. Maybe I am gonna do a bunch of piers, set 2x6 on them and skip a concrete. Or a small pole building. and a concrete later. I go there only about 20 times in the spring /summer, winterized in October, that's it.
I don't know what's the best solution/concept for this application.

I didn't think about a trailer,somehow I had a concrete floor on my mind....?????

I will have to rent a backhoe and do it right. Damn, no shortcuts at this time...lol.
Thanks a million,

Joe

P.S. Maybe, I am going to NEED a backhoe, haha. ....

Building new pole barn

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-07-24          143986

Joe if you're referring to my reply, they're not trailers---they get transported on trailers or rollbacks. They're big steel boxes and come in three different sizes usually--20', 40'(?) 53'(?). ....

Building new pole barn

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-07-24          143990

Joe:
Not to be picky, but Iron Mountain is in the Western U.P.

Earthworks has a great suggestion about getting a semi-trailer transport body dropped in (it's a box minus the wheels, frame, etc.). You may want to place it on high ground and rest it over a row or more of block to keep it away from moisture and prevent critters from going beneath.

I don't think the frost line is that much deeper up there. The snow helps to insulate the ground. ....

Building new pole barn

View my Photos
praha4752

2007-07-25          144007

EW,
I'd like to build something there.
I will have to, and I will, find a solution. And if the solution is a smaller wooded building on 4x6, or I'll rent a backhoe and do it right or a metal box you suggested,I am on my own , since a local help is out of picture.
I def. underestimated a foundation part of my project.

YP,
since I am about 35 miles west from eastern time zone/Escanaba/ I just feel like being east. You're right IM is at a western part of UP.

Thanks,

Joe

Building new pole barn

View my Photos
anthonyc12

2013-09-20          188002

Our contractor just left. He is due to begin construction on the new barn next week! YIPPEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! It should be completed by mid February, if the weather cooperates. It's going to be an 8 stall barn, with a breezeway, and 2 run ins on the sides. 2 stalls will be converted to feed/tack/hay storage. We're gonna have hot water, fans in the summer, and all the "niceties" we've lived without before. And my DH just gave me my early Christmas present.......a 100 gallon black water trough, and a de-icer!!! It will be so nice not to have to break and remove ice every few hours all winter. Last winter, (and many winters prior) I even left work to come home during the say and remove ice. And I worried that the horses weren't getting enough water too. (I'm a worry-wart when it comes to my animals).
I'll post pics as things get under way. Just wanted to share my JOY!!!! ....

Building new pole barn

View my Photos
hardwood

2013-09-21          188006

Anthony;

Welcome to the form, we need new members to keep things going, some of us old timers are going downhill so far as knowledge is concerned.
If you'll notice the last post on this thread was in 2007, not that it isn't still good information.
I can understand your excitement about getting a new shed but my curiosity has me wondering about if you start now and completion is hoped for by mid February, that's a long time to put up a pole shed.

Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login