Go Bottom Go Bottom

New to me Bolens Tractor

View my Photos
keltonkrew
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-28          60312

I just bought a Bolens tractor from my mom. going to pick it up tomorrow. It is a small diesel 4x4.

I want to change the oil and coolant. I drive a Powerstroke and use Shell Rotella T. Is this oil ok for the tractor? Where can I get an oil filter?

Also what brand coolant?

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

New to me Bolens Tractor

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-29          60354

It'd be very good to have an owner's manual and find a dealer or mechanic who's worked on them.

There could be some problems with 'in general stuff' but here comes some. In general, almost all reasonably new diesel tractors can use any diesel rated engine oil of appropriate grade. Appropriate grades are generally what work for trucks in area and time of year. Most tractors will use any universal transmission/hydraulic oil intended for tractors. Usually the same oil goes in the front axle as well. Filters can be a problem but NAPA and some box stores have filter cross-reference tables that include tractors. Sometimes people have trouble finding hydraulic or fuel filters but usually engine filters can be cross-referenced.

Coolant too comes in diesel rated types. Most any low-silica type but any coolant from a tractor store should be appropriate. Coolant in diesels should be changed every two years, which is sometimes not stated in manuals. Old depleted coolant can damage an engine every if it hasn't been run much.

New to me Bolens Tractor

View my Photos
keltonkrew

2003-07-29          60361

Thanks for the reply. I pick up the tractor today. Still unsure of the model number but I will find out today. She called last night and has all of the manuals for it - can you say surprised.

I've been running diesel trucks for over 10 years and have always used the low silicate, just didn't know if there was a difference for tractors.

Once again, Thanks for the help ....

New to me Bolens Tractor

View my Photos
keltonkrew

2003-07-30          60442

Picked it up today. It is a 1979 G174 3 cylinder with a bunch of implements.

Runs great and looks great (once you removed the barn dust from it) ....

New to me Bolens Tractor

View my Photos
JimP

2003-07-30          60446

Hi - saw you post here and on the BolensTractorClub on Yahoo! Sounds like you got a very nice deal -- hope you thanked your parents. Couple of answers to your questions and new questions for you:

Before I answer you question on filter crossovers, we need to know what tractor you do indeed have. Bolens sold a 2-cyl G174 from 1977-1981 and then replaced in with a 3-cyl G174 which they sold from 1981-1991. The fact that you mention it is a 3-cyl and referenced the number of hours on the tractor, leads me to believe it is indeed a 3-cyl, as the 2-cyl models did not come with an hour meter (was an add-on option). So if you have a hour meter built into the dash, then I suspect you have a 3-cyl, and your tractor is newer than you think.

If you give us the Iseki model number (2-cyl TX1500F vs 3-cyl TX2160F) or desribed your hood decals we can narrow down the year further. Early model 2-cyl G174 came with red hood decals with balck lettering, while some late model 2-cyl and all 3-cyl G174s came with several different style of multi-tone green hood decals.

If you do indeed have a 3-cyl TX2160F G174, there are cross-overs for all the 3-cyl filters (some of the 2-cyl flters are tought to find) -- you can find crossovers made by Wix/NAPA or Fram at your lcoal auto parts store, or I can post back cross-over here if you like.

There is also a Yahoo! Group targeted specifically for the Bolens Iseki deisels, which you may want to subscribe to, as this is the forum most specific to these tractors. See link below: ....

Link:   

Click Here

New to me Bolens Tractor

View my Photos
keltonkrew

2003-07-30          60448

Thanks for the reply. I'll visit the link.

It is a 3 cylinder. 3 exhaust ports, 3 injectors. It has green stickers on the hood with G174 on the front lower sides. My manual says it is a TX1704 (G174). It does have an hour meter on the dash. Inside the manual it has specs for TX1500F. You said that is a 2 cyl..........My dad wrote the oil filter number 51064 in the manual and that fits a 3 cyl. I know I saw 3 injectors and 3 exhaust ports so the manual could be wrong.

The only reason I said it was a 1979 is that I have the original sales invoice (all the manuals for the implements, sales invoice, finance papers, etc) all came with the tractor. On the invoice it has the Date Ordered as 08/07/79. Notice it is the ordered date.

here are the wix numbers that I've been able to find.

air 46270
oil 51064
fuel 33264

are these correct.

Once again, thanks for your help. ....

New to me Bolens Tractor

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-30          60451

I did not realize that Bolens built a diesel tractor. From the picture on the yahoo web site; it looks like a real nice compact tractor. Especially with the hoe and the loader pictured. Who manufactured the diesel engine? ....

New to me Bolens Tractor

View my Photos
keltonkrew

2003-07-30          60452

my engine is an Iseki diesel.

It is a real nice compact 4wd tractor. Just have a lot to learn about it! It's old but starts/runs/drives/looks great so why spend so much for a new one! ....

New to me Bolens Tractor

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-30          60453

I hear ya brother! If it ain't broke don't fix it. If ya got a good thing and it works; stick with it! ....

New to me Bolens Tractor

View my Photos
JimP

2003-07-30          60455

Yes, those cross-overs are correct for the TX3 3-cyl models -- see Post #53645 I posted earlier on this board (Do a search by my userid). Not sure about your ordered date, as the 1979 models had red decals. It sure sounds like you have a TX3 3-cyl G174 -- the TX1704 was yet another Bolens model number for the same tractor; i.e. G174 = TX1704 = Iseki TX2160F. The side radiator panel decals with "Diesel" and "G174" are indicative of a early model TX3 3-cyl G174, so you probably have one of the very first 3-cyl models, although the late model TX2 2-cyls also had the same decals, which makes all of this real confusing.

As for you manual, not sure what you have. The Bolens model number and Iseki model number for the 2-cyl G174 was the same: TX1500F. The TX3 3-cyl model numbers are listed above. I am pretty sure you have the 3-cyl from your description, but there is one more check you can do to make sure. Post back all the model/serial numbers on the plate located by the shifter, and also the model/serial number on the left hand side of the bumper frame that is bolted to the engine -- this location should have the Iseki model number. Perhaps you have a original version of the manual when they were in the process of converting over the line from 2-cyl to 3-cyl. You may want to ensure you have the right manaul for your tractor, regardless of what was given to you, as there were some major changes between the TX2 2-cyl and TX3 3-cyl familes. See the link below for a great source for Bolens manuals including the Iseki Diesels

As for your charging system problem, these tractors have a charging system with an alternator and regulator, much like a car (not to be confused with the old start/generators Bolens had on some of their gas machines) Any good auto electric store should be able to rebuild the alternator if you think that is what it is.

If you need any parts for you tractor, contact me vie e-mail and we'll see what we can do. ....

Link:   

Click Here

New to me Bolens Tractor

View my Photos
keltonkrew

2003-07-30          60489

OK,

Here are my numbers. I must have a pretty early 3-cylinder tractor.

On the frame on the left side is stamped:

TX1510F-008024 (which indicates a 2 cylinder I believe)

On the plate by the gear shift, it is stamped

Model TX2160F
No. 008024
(which indicate a 3-cylinder)

Could this be a tractor that was in limbo during the switch from 2-3 cylinders.....If so, exactly what year do I have then???

It definitely has 3 cylinders as there are 3 injectors on top of the engine and I bought some filters today that line up with the 3 cylinder (fuel, oil and air) and all are exact replacements!

this is an all original tractor as I bought it from my step-dad and he bought it from his neighbor 15 years ago that he's known for a long time (only missing 1 yellow lens on the rear fender and 1 headlight only works on high beams - low is burned out), otherwise the tractor is complete.

Well gotta go, I'm chaning oil, oil filter, fuel filter and air filter. Coolant will be tomorrow.

New to me Bolens Tractor

View my Photos
JimP

2003-07-30          60502

Mike - You have a 3-cyl G174 -- all the serial numbers line up. TX1500F is the 2-cyl Iseki model number and TX1510F is the 3-cyl Iseki model number. Decals, model numbers, and engine all say a TX3 3-cyl G174, so that mystery is solved (still don't understand that original bill of sale though)

Chief - Bolens imported Iseki tractors starting in 1977 and redecaled them under their own name. These smallest of the diesels (15HP and 17 HP) models came first with a Mitsubishi 2-cyl diesel (KE70/KE75) and then replaced with 3-cyl Mitsubishi diesel (K3A/K3B) starting in the early 80s. Very reliable diesel engines -- flipped a 1000 hours on my G152 mower last year and still going strong. I'm currently starting a restoration project on my H1502 with loader and backhoe similar to the one posted on the BolensDieselClub.

On a somewhat related note, I've been following this site for over a year now. I've read a lot about the Kubota BX22 without having ever seen one in person. A neighbor down the road just picked up a BX22, and it reminded me very much of my own Bolens H1502 Loader/Backhoe combo in terms of size and capabilities. ....

New to me Bolens Tractor

View my Photos
keltonkrew

2003-07-30          60504

Jim,

I want to thank you for your help/support in my quest for knowledge on this little beast.

Just changed the oil, air filter and fuel filter. Very simple. Tomorrow will be the coolant.

Is there any problem in pressure washing all the crud off the gear boxes (staying away from the engine - I usually put simple green on my diesel truck engine, rinse off with a slow stream from the hose and then wipe everything down with a rag).

I'm trying to get it cleaned up so when I take it to my property next weekend it will be ready...(much easier to do these things at my house).

Thanks ....

New to me Bolens Tractor

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-31          60517

Some real good specific help here.

Regarding cleaning crud, I generally don't worry about it on my tractor unless I have to work on it. What you described sounds OK. I have heard of people having problems after using high-pressure washers though. I'd keep in mind that oil and grease help keep fitting and bolds from seizing. There often are kind of exposed safety switches around the cases that water and solvent wouldn't do any good. Water can get into the TX/Hydraulic oil through old or damaged boots around gear shifters.

At least we're not hearing a story I recently heard elsewhere. A guy said he sprayed water on his engine to help cool it down and then the tractor wouldn't start again. Hope it wasn't a serious problem.

New to me Bolens Tractor

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-31          60559

When I first started looking at tractors I looked at one of theese in excellent condition. I think the asking price was around 6k. I cant remember what implements it had but it only had around 400 hours on it. I thought it was way over priced. If I only knew then ! It was too small for a loader ( I think ) and I now use the loader for about 90% of the work I do. If I'm not mistaken Agco/massey now use the Iseki engine in their smaller machines. ....

New to me Bolens Tractor

View my Photos
keltonkrew

2003-07-31          60560

Well I will probably make you sick, but here's what I got and what I paid for it.

bolens 3-cylinder with 609 hours, shredder, estate mower, box blade, rotary tiller, cultivators, middle busters, 8' lowboy trailer that has hardly been used (only 3 years old) and the only thing wrong with the tractor is the alternator (getting repaired now), 1 headlight has the low beam burned out and the rear light on the right fender is missing the yellow lens..

I paid $1000 for everything....of course I bought it from my step-father but figured I got a pretty good deal. when he told me how much, I went right over there and gave him the money before he could change his mind! ....

New to me Bolens Tractor

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-31          60565

yeah, I would say you will probably count as one of your better bargains in life. I am sure you will get a lot of good use out of it and you should not really have much difficulty cross referencing parts, although I doubt you will need many. They are fine machines. ....

New to me Bolens Tractor

View my Photos
gmsjcole

2011-09-03          180172

JimP;

You seem to know a lot about the Bolens Iseki Deisel Tractors. I just purchased a Bolens Iseki G174 TX1500F and bought a Bolens 48" two stage snow blower for it but my tractor does not have the Push Arm kit to lift the snowblower up and down. Do you have any information on the availability of these or do you have some pictures of the brackets and push arm so I could fabricate them. I also purchased a 54" mower deck for it and need info on the same type of brackets for the bottom of the tractor that the mower deck hangs from. Can you help.

Thanks ....

New to me Bolens Tractor

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-09-04          180173

If you don't get an answer it's because that thread's 8 years old. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login