Go Bottom Go Bottom

Agracat 2740 Rorary Cutter Recommentations

View my Photos
papabear
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-06-24          190524

I have an Agracat 2740 20 hp diesel and am in the market for a rotary cutter. I have a 5-foot Koyker FEL, so it would be nice to have a matching width cutter.

The problem: 19 hp pto; lift capacity 810 lbs. I have been told a 5-foot cutter would be too much for the tractor.

It will be used for cutting mostly 3 to 4-foot high grass and very little small brush.

Being a "Tim The Tool Man" type (UGH!), I want a slip clutch and prefer a sloping deck with as heavy gauge deck and blades as possible. I would like to say price is not an issue -- but it is.

Recommendations?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-06-24          190525

Papabear, A five foot cutter probably is more than they would recommend. The horse power per foot of width right off do not remember but I have a 27 hp tractor and a five foot cutter on it is a good match for our use but still light on HP there.

That being said you do want a cutter the width of the outside of the rear tires so you can cut flush or you will slowly loose the way with the brush as it grows in the width of the outside wall of the tire to the cutter. The speed is also important for your cutting as is how thick what you are cutting and the height of cut. If you can not handle a cutter the full width from the outside of tire to outside of the other tire do try to get one that will off set to one side so it will cut flush on that side at least. kt ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-06-26          190531

The loader would counterbalance the extra weight of the 5 footer, but 19 PTO horsepower is insufficient. Actually, I doubt if you actually [I]have[/I] 19 hp at the PTO. The standard rule of thumb for geared tractors; PTOhp = engine hp minus 14%. That means you could have as little as 17 PTO hp. Even with a 4 footer, count on struggling through tall/wet stuff.

Not to say you can't find a 4 footer with slip clutch protection, as they're more common on 6-10 footers and a few higher end 5 footers. Either not available or optional on most 4 footers. Not even Bush Hog offers a 4 footer with slip. Those with, are not going to be cheap. Check out
http://www.kodiakmfg.com/products/Kodiak_Rotary_Cutters.pdf
http://www.woodsequipment.com/productDetails.aspx?id=452

//greg//

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login