Go Bottom Go Bottom

differential lock

View my Photos
mekale
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-05-21          178566

Hi all, I have a 2005 Farm Pro 200. The differential lever was pushed down past the stop point. I'm not sure but my tractor only wants to go straight. The lever will not stay up. Is there something on the inside that was released?
Any help appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

differential lock

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-05-21          178567

Given that the tractor only wants to go straight, I'd say the diff lock is refusing to disengage. Ordinarily this is done with spring action. Pushing lever 145 causes fork 135 to slide into the slot on claw 134 which in turn mates with claw 133. Given that the tractor only wants to go straight, I'd say the diff lock is refusing to disengage. Ordinarily this is done with spring action. Pushing lever 145 causes fork 135 to slide into the slot on claw 134 which in turn mates with claw 133. [p]http://johnstractor.homestead.com/files/DriveGear3.jpg[/p] This locks the left and right drive wheels together. The act of pushing the lever temporarily compresses spring 136. When you release the lever, the return action of that spring is supposed to pull the fork back out of the slot, which in turn allows the pair of claws to separate. At the same time, the spring action should return the lever to the home position. The spring however, is apparently not doing - or not being allowed to do - its job.<br>
<br>
Something in that linkage is either broken or jammed, and the claws are not separating like they should. I'd start by jacking both rear wheels of the tractor off the ground to take pressure off the two claws. Rotate - by hand - both wheels while pulling up on the diff lock lever. Hopefully that will take enough pressure off the claws to let them separate. If that happens, and the lever still won't come up, there's something broken in the linkage.<br>
<br>
//greg// This locks the left and right drive wheels together. The act of pushing the lever temporarily compresses spring 136. When you release the lever, the return action of that spring is supposed to pull the fork back out of the slot, which in turn allows the pair of claws to separate. At the same time, the spring action should return the lever to the home position. The spring however, is apparently not doing - or not being allowed to do - its job.

Something in that linkage is either broken or jammed, and the claws are not separating like they should. I'd start by jacking both rear wheels of the tractor off the ground to take pressure off the two claws. Rotate - by hand - both wheels while pulling up on the diff lock lever. Hopefully that will take enough pressure off the claws to let them separate. If that happens, and the lever still won't come up, there's something broken in the linkage.

//greg// ....

differential lock

View my Photos
mekale

2011-05-22          178570

Thanks for the help. I will try that today. I'll let you know what happened. ....

differential lock

View my Photos
mekale

2011-05-22          178571

Well it was a good try but it still locked. Tried everything I could but it won't release. I guess I'm down to top halving the rear end. ....

differential lock

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-05-23          178578

Have you tried backing up? ....

differential lock

View my Photos
mekale

2011-05-23          178583

Yep,I've tried everything under the sun to release it. I think it's terminal.... Well I'll have to locate a manual to help with tear down. ....

differential lock

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-05-24          178593

If you must tear it down that will be a bummer. Is there any linkage or connection that could be loose on the outside of the rear end that is disconnecting the spring and lever from the gears and not releasing? ....

differential lock

View my Photos
mekale

2011-05-24          178594

The pin or rod that the level is fastened to will roll around and around.and you can push ahd pull it in and out. I'm afraid that a clip that holds the spring on the shaft has come off. ....

differential lock

View my Photos
mekale

2011-05-29          178678

Ok, I took off the top of the rear end and the found that the shaft that puts it into pos was stuck. All it took was a tap with a hammer and it popped back out. When I forced the level down and it pushed it in,the end of the shaft was corroded and that is was stuck the shaft in. Thanks for the ideas everyone. I'm glad that was all that was wrong. Now I just need to order a few parts and back together I go. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login