Go Bottom Go Bottom

buying a jm 354 farm tractor

View my Photos
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-02-07          176760

I would like to buy a jm 354 chinese farm tractor and pick it up at the docks in vancouver. I want three attachments ie loader ,backhoe and rototiller. I found importers in toronto but none in van bc cda. Can anyone help me on this

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-02-08          176763

Not to offend, but do you realize that you have to uncrate and assemble this tractor yourself? Self-importation was quite popular for a while. Folks looked at it as a way of saving money, but ended up paying more in the end. The single largest problem with Chinese tractors is premature failures due to incomplete or incompetent assembly and preparation. And even if the buyer is a master mechanic with a diesel certificate, there's still the problem of warranty parts and service. If I'm not mistaken, the Chinese "warranty" is now down to six months - and that starts when the crate goes on the ship over in China. Warranty parts have to be ordered from China as well. And warranty parts are shipped at the same speed as was the tractor; slow boat across the Pacific. And since the whole point of buying Chinese was to save money, paying trans-Pacific air freight for parts just adds insult to injury.

Self-importers are very very rare nowadays. Their hard and costly lessons-learned have convinced most subsequent potential buyers to purchase from an established and reputable dealer. One who knows how to put these things together properly and have them serviced to the point of field-ready. Warranty is local, and parts are just a phone call away. Helps the local economy too.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-02-08          176764

Well said. In addition: Components wrong, damaged, missing? Assembly instructions translated by somebody who knows 20 words of English? Don't have equipment to handle very heavy bits?

Yes, importers can put one together in a day. But the first one took them a week.

On the other hand, you do get to keep a lot of good metal and wood packing material. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login