Go Bottom Go Bottom

nt254 4wd w front loader

View my Photos
hoggpops
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-09-09          156554

I just recieved my nt254 4wd, read man. while doing the "run out" tests, I could not shift it into 4wd,can anyone help ?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

nt254 4wd w front loader

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-09-09          156555

Presumably the NT prefix means you bought it from Northern Tools, which makes it a NorTrac. But underneath those decals, it's a Chinese JM254 (Jinma).

When the tractor is moving, the front drive is always turning the front driveshaft - regardless of the 2wd/4wd select lever position. What the lever does is move a transmission sliding gear that's located just above the transfer case, which in turn mates the transmission with the front driveshaft. When you're not moving, the front driveshaft isn't moving either. This necessarily makes it a shift on the fly sort of arrangement. There must be rotation of the front tires before the sliding gear and transfer case gear teeth will mesh.

//greg// ....

nt254 4wd w front loader

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-09-09          156557

Further to Greg's excellent advice.

Any 4WD tractor has a difference between the front axle gear ratio and that of the rear, usually that difference is such that the front axle runs (or 'leads') about 5% faster than the rear. This is to prevent the tractor from 'wallowing' or weaving slightly while you are driving it in 4WD.

Because of this situation it is often very difficult to get it to go in or out of 4WD if the machine is sitting on a hard surface such as a paved area.

Try it on a soft surface while (as Greg stated) you are moving a bit.

Best of luck. ....

nt254 4wd w front loader

View my Photos
hoggpops

2008-09-09          156558

Will try the "on the fly" Much obliged ....

nt254 4wd w front loader

View my Photos
hoggpops

2008-09-09          156560

On the fly worked,, after getting serious with it, then it started shifting much easier, thanks. ....

nt254 4wd w front loader

View my Photos
Murf

2008-09-10          156567

Glad to be of assistance! :)

As the old fella that works as my fleet maintenance man often tells the young 'pups' as he calls them, "If that hammer doesn't fit I've got a bigger one still!!!". In other words, sometimes you just have to show something who's the boss!

Of course without his VERY thick Scottish accent it's just not the same. ;)

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login