Go Bottom Go Bottom

power stearing problem in the steering colum on a 3400 ford utility tr

View my Photos
blacksmith
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-01-01          149786

When I turn right or left you have to over steer to get it to turn. When it starts to turn you have to back turn to keep it from going to far. Any ideas as to what part of the control on the steering shaft is at fault. Thanks Blacksmith

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-01          149790

Blacksmith,

You might want to check the mechanical connection between your steering wheel shaft and the steering block.

Sounds to me as though there may be a pin that is badly worn, or a lot of play in the steering shaft connection.

Possibly a bolt or connecting pin is about to fall out, or is worn so badly that the hole is now oblong.

Joel ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-02          149812

blacksmith, too many years back to be 100% sure but if memory is correct my father in law's old Ford had an adjustment screw to adjust for worn gears in the steering gear box. It was located at base of steering column.

I would following on Joel's suggestion and have some one work the steering wheel back and forth with the tractor sitting still while you look for the point where the linkage goes from quick response to sloppy response. kt ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login