Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cold Diesel Engine

View my Photos
Johannes
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-11-13          119311

I have a late seventies Deutz 6206 with a FL912 4 cylinder air cooled diesel engine. It doesn’t have glow-plugs but what looks to me a little heating device which heats up a little bit of diesel fuel. The device is located at the top front of the engine. It is a little cylinder of about 1 and a quarter inch in diameter and 2 inches high. The device takes about 3-4 minutes to get to hot to touch It has a (fuel) line from the fuel pump and a (fuel) line to another little device. This looks to me like a little injector. It is located in the duct which inserts air into the cylinders. After the previously mentioned 3-4 minutes of pre-heating, when I then crank the engine, it turns over and blue smoke is coming out of the exhaust system but the engine doesn’t start.
I have two big batteries cranking the starter, so that shouldn’t be the problem. I changed the oil to 15/40 and the machine doesn’t have a “handy” oil pan for a oil pan heater. It is all heavy duty steel. I would like to avoid heating contraptions. I once tried to start it while forcing hot air into the air intake but to no avail. I assume that this tractor wasn’t built by the Germans for only sunny days to use. It should be able to withstand some chilly days. I hear that Deutz is popular in Scandinavia and Poland.
By the way, it was around freezing. Not even that cold. It started fine this fall and summer.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Johannes

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Cold Diesel Engine

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-13          119312

The preheater may not be getting fuel to ignite. Or it may be clogged itself, not permitting any ignited fuel to enter the intake. Not sure, but the 2nd line may be connecting it to the fuel return. If that's blocked, it may affect the gravity feed as well.

//greg// ....

Cold Diesel Engine

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-14          119315

A simple although not ideal solution is to spray a short burst of WD-40 into the intake tract while cranking the engine. This more or less accomplishes the same thing as the cold start aid on your Deutz which heats diesel fuel into a vapor. If you want the cold start aid to work, you will have to troubleshoot it and determine what the problem is with it (either the fuel piping is restricted or clogged or the heating element is faulty or has an accumulation of build up on it. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login