Go Bottom Go Bottom

Nortac 254 problem

View my Photos
Willhar
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-11-04          147708

While my tractor was running warm, low or idling, a ping came from engine and some smoke came from exhaust and all of the radiator fluid drained from the tube on the back bottom of emgine. I have very low hours.
anyone have an idea what that is? gasket or seal?
Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Nortac 254 problem

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-04          147710

What color was the smoke? Did the anti-freeze level in your radiator go down? Do you have over 50 hours on it yet? If so, did you perform the usual 50 hour maintenance: head bolt re-torque, valve lash adjust, fluid changes?

//greg// ....

Nortac 254 problem

View my Photos
Willhar

2007-11-04          147713

GREG, GREG

my reply to you is not working, checked cookies don't know.

I had some black smoke, still ran, but I just moved it out of driveway, I only have 7 hours, all of the radiator fluid drained out of that overflow tube.
Bill ....

Nortac 254 problem

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-04          147718

White smoke would have indicated water, usually an indication of a blown head gasket. I hope this drives home the importance of that 50 hour maintenance, but black smoke suggests the problem lies elsewhere.

Are you sure it's "radiator fluid"? Because there's sometimes a hydraulic QD (quick disconnect) fitting right behind the hydraulic pump (right side engine, front). If that QD accidently separates - pops open - it will deadhead the pump and bog down the engine. When the engine is bogged down, black smoke comes out the exhaust. The QD separating might have sounded like a ping.

But how "radiator fluid" and "overflow tube" factor into this, I haven't quite figured out yet.

//greg// ....

Nortac 254 problem

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-11-05          147747

Willhar, "7" hours?? What does your dealer say? I would quickly be talking to them as you don't want to do anything to void warranty. kt ....

Nortac 254 problem

View my Photos
chipuren

2007-11-06          147878

Is this tube attached to the block drain? I have seen some with a tube. if the drain opened, the fluid will drain, but cannot relate it to the "Ping" and the smoke.
What does your oil look like? if you add water to the radiator, does it leak out? if so where? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login