Go Bottom Go Bottom

TC55DA with a burned wring harnis

View my Photos
gentfarmer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-01-16          168082

My TC55DA developed a hot seat the other night with the wiring harnis catching fire. The fuse did not blow and the wires kept shorting out. With the safety switch on the seat burned, the tractor will start but will not move ( the engin will die when put into gear.) Replacement of the wiring harnis will cost close to $500.
Is there any manufacturing issues with the TC55DA in the wiring area? What do I need to look forward to in the future with this problem?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-01-17          168106

I think you'll find other posts here about NH's design flaws and NH's refusal to make it right. Unless yours is nearing the end of its service life anyway, I'd try anyway, then see a consumer-law practitioner. ....

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-03-19          169373

there are not many if any regular electrical problems with the ops on a tc55. What you can do is trace the wires back to where they are good and splice the two together. Your ops will no longer be functional but your machine will run. You have to be extremly carefull bucause if you fall off the tractor it will not stop. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-03-19          169380

oneace's warning about falling off the tractor can be real. Lost a friend who some how fell or was knocked off of his and ended up being squeezed to death by one of the wheels. It did not run over him but pressed his chest enough he could not breath. I also heard of a farmer who for some reason realized he was falling off the seat due to a health issue or insect sting or such while he was disking. He was alert enough and able to raise the lift so the disk cleared him he was pulling. He must have been skinner than me. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2010-07-05          172085

I was thinking about this one for a while and some thing is bothering me a little. The switch under the seat is only a two wire switch that is normally open. It has 12vdc going in and when you sit on the seat the switch closes and you get 12vdc coming out. They also have corrugated plastic sheathing on them up until about 1/2" to the switch. So how did the seat catch on fire. The wires are only maybe 16awg. IF one shorted out on the frame or some where else. IF for some unknown reason the fuses failed to blow. It would take a LONG LONG time for that small of a wire to get hot enough to burn. The copper in the wire would melt apart and at that point the circuit would be broken essentially stopping the tractor in its tracks. If this DID happen and you did not smell it before that point you have a serious problem and should be seen by a doctor. So there has got to be some thing else behind this, what it is we may never know. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-07-05          172087

I'm not much of an electrician, but knowing what burned the first harness comes before buying a new one. I cooked one on a Deere once that was real pricey from them, but I learned later that an aftermarket one was half or less. I did it one wire at a time to keep from getting mixed up but even I could do it, amazing. ....

View my Photos
gentfarmer

2010-07-05          172088

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneace | view 172085
I was thinking about this one for a while and some thing is bothering me a little.The switch under the seat is only a two wire switch that is normally open.It has 12vdc going in and when you sit on the seat the switch closes and you get 12vdc coming out.They also have corrugated plastic sheathing on them up until about 1/2" to the switch.So how did the seat catch on fire.The wires are only maybe 16awg.IF one shorted out on the frame or some where else. IF for some unknown reason the fuses failed to blow.It would take a LONG LONG time for that small of a wire to get hot enough to burn.The copper in the wire would melt apart and at that point the circuit would be broken essentially stopping the tractor in its tracks.If this DID happen and you did not smell it before that point you have a serious problem and should be seen by a doctor.So there has got to be some thing else behind this,what it is we may never know.

View my Photos
gentfarmer

2010-07-05          172089

I had to replace the whole wiring harnise. The dealership came out an installed the harnise.
The problem has not come about again. I did however change the witing of three holigen lights that each had 55 watts draw. I have directy wired to the battery a separate fused circuit for these lights. To eliminate any possible problem, I have also installed a sepatate dedicated switch for these lights.
The best I can figure was that I wired into the circuit too much load and the wiring harnise was not rated for that much current. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-07-05          172101

I would think three 55 watt lights would be more than the factory harness is rated for...but the fuse still should have blown as it would have been sized for the wire. Just wondering, when the lights were first installed did the fuse blown and a larger one installed? May not have been you who did it but if you allowed someone else to use your tractor they could have.

Oneace, have a friend who can not smell. No sense of smell at all. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login