Go Bottom Go Bottom

TD 85D problem with back end

View my Photos
tractormad
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-03-27          161455

Hi all

My father has a TD85D which hasn't being operating well the last few months, basically when it act as if the handbrake is on all the time(even though it's not)

It gets it hard to reach top speed and when you take it out of gear it stops up prompt with no free wheel. It did go low in oil, we located leak and stopped it and topped it up with universal oil(as indicated by our local tractor mechanic) but problem still presists.

There is no problem putting it into any of the gears. Anyone any idea what the problem may be??

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-04-03          161684

I don't know the brake set up on your tractor but if it is acting if hand brake is set, how are you so sure it is released? Is it possible brakes (drum or shoe) have stuck locked? Could linkage be loose? Could what ever pulls them back be broken or needing adjustment?

Probably not it, but if you have a locking rear differential it may be locked and on my tractors it seems to act sort of like the brake is locked. This also shows up quickly in turning so doubt it. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-04-03          161692

I suspect the hung-up brakes is indeed the culprit.

The insides of tractors tend to seize up when they are not run regularly. The oil in the transmission/differential gets splashed all over when the tractor is being used, that lubricates all the shafts that pass through the casing.

Try working the brake lever back and forth after oiling it from the outside and make sure it moves both freely and fully.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login