Go Bottom Go Bottom

Hydraulic fluid for TC29D Tractor

View my Photos
regina
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-07-29          155678

Can I go to a local farm supply store, such as Tractor Supply or Southern States, to buy hydraulic fluid for my TC29D without having to drive an hour to the NH dealer.
I called them and they told me I needed '134' hydraulic fluid, but this is the NH ref. number and other farm supply stores seem to not be sure what that translates to with their stock of hyd.fluids.

All very confusing, at least to someone like me who knows little about tractor maintenance.

Also, the dealer was surprised to hear there was no fluid in the engine, saying this must mean there is a leak somewhere as the fluid should never run out, just need changing.
Is this correct?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-07-29          155684

Welcome to TP. Pull up a keyboard and stay a while.

If you are able to get the specs you should find oil at those stores and local parts stores also. If you have a manual it should have the spec info in it. A good parts store may have the specs on hand.

The statement about no fluid in the engine, which fluid? It would be a shock for any fluid to be totally missing and would seem it would have created a problem. If it is the coolant you are talking about have you removed the radiator cap and looked in it and not just the reservoir. If you have a fluid totally missing look carefully for any open drains or loose clamps (depending which fluid) if you can not find the reason right off. If you really have missing fluid and can find no signs of leak or reason do not pass up vandles. kt

View my Photos
regina

2008-07-29          155686

kt,
Thanks for your helpful response.

My son said there was no hydraulic fluid in the tractor.....
the NH dealer said that was unusual and that, as you said, there must be a leak somewhere.

R. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-07-29          155688

I don't have a NH tractor so not sure how you check it. How long has it been since it was last checked? If you truly have no hyd fluid in it then nothing that operates off of it would work. (The pump could be damaged by running with no oil so do not run the tractor until you get oil in it.) Such as lift or power steering or if you have a hydrostat transmission or remote hyd. Be sure you are checking the fluid as per the manual and the tractor is level. If that low look for leaks, from the front of the tractor for it probably has a hyd oil cooler at the radiator or possibly within it and the hyd filters for a blown gasket. If your tractor has remote hyd and you use them there could be leak on the implement you are using which of course is using the tractor's hyd oil.

Have you checked all fluid levels? I don't know your tractor but be sure the hyd oil is not pumping into the engine oil or coolant. You really need to find where it is going. You may need to buy a hand pump to fill the tractor depending on how accessbile the fill port is. A 5 gallon bucket of oil is hard to be accurate with. You probably should by it by the 5 gallon bucket but find out how much your tractor holds and allow for finding the leak and such. I would suggest changing the filter while there and count it as a service change in time. Hope it is simple. kt ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-07-29          155689

As Kenneth has already pointed out, the reference to the engine is puzzling.

The only oil in the engine is motor oil, the reservoir for the hydraulic fluid is the transmission and rear end of the tractor.

I'm not familiar with the NH tractors either, but usually the hydraulic fluid is checked by means of a sight glass (little window) or dipstick, these would normally be located either around where your feet go, or at the very rear of the tractor.

Your owners manual should clearly show you, usually including a picture or sketch what you need to know to check it.

One other point to remember is that the fluid is both used by parts of the tractor, including the 3pth and, if you have one, the loader, and sensitive to the position of the tractor. Being a fluid it will always find it's own level, so if you park it uphill, downhill, or on the level it will affect the reading. Likewise, taking the level with the 3pth or FEL up even a little will affect the reading.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-07-29          155691

Regina...reading Murf made me think of something...if your tractor has the sight glass you may have oil but not being able to see it in it. It can be down just a little below the glass and you have no idea or filled above the glass and not realized it is overfilled. The dipstick also if dry does not mean there is NO fluid in it just it does not reach it.

If your tractor has a sight guage try rocking the tractor (your son) and you look for any sign of fluid moving in the guage. It is tempting to tell you to lossen the drain plug very carefully and very carefully holding onto it and see if any fluid seeps out. But a little slip there and you will have no fluid in there and a big mess. If your lift or power steering are still working you have to have some fluid in the system but just low or if sight guage you can not see the fluid. Some of those fluids are very clear and very hard to see either in a sight guage or even on a dipstick.

What made you check the fluid? Did the hyd system stop working? Or just pulling maintance? kt ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-07-29          155697

Regina, I have TC33D. The dip stick or fluid level indicator is a yellow plastic thumb cap found behind the operator seat and just below the tool box--remove the tool box to access it. Use a funnel to fill it. Otherwise, it will be all over the place! The yellow cap can be difficult to remove. You may need pliers and be careful: lefty loosey--righty tighty (Remember that KennyT :) )

You should use the 134 which Tractor Supply does have a replacement for---I buy mine there. Some good autoparts stores carry it too (it's not a NH number per se) I have also used their regular universal hydraulic fluid too. The 134 is very thin and usually clear compared to regular fluid. Since you're checking fluids, check the power steering reservoir too which I believe is a different fluid. ....

View my Photos
Boomer1530

2008-11-12          157836

Just a quick note - the power steering fluid is also NH143. I recently changed this fluid and filter resevoir (~$90+ for the filter, ugh!). ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login