Go Bottom Go Bottom

choosing the right tractor

View my Photos
mohegan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-17          118031

Hello. I am trying to determine the right tractor for my needs. I have 10 acres in Grant, FL. All flat, gets wet. There are 7 acres of heavy pasture that needs bush-hog work -- 2 acres of finish mowing work. Plus a small animal farm in need of a front loader, and pulling (wagons, etc.) work.

Any ideas wchich tractor I should be considering to meet these needs ?

Thank you .

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kdsrgone

2005-10-17          118073

Mohegan,

The obvious is " the biggest you can afford", but all joking aside, you really need to look closely at where you'll use the tractor as well as any potential uses in the future. Size is a factor as you increase HP. Do you have areas where size or manuverability could be an issue? Based on your statement, you definitely need 4wd. Depending on how quickly you want to brush hog your 7 acres will determine the size of the rotary cutter you will want, which in turn will have an impact on the size of the tractor. Any uses that are not in the picture today, but have even the remotest possibility in the future should be considered. It'll be much cheaper to have some overkill for a few years than to have to go through the purchasing process again when the tractor you bought today won't handle tomorrow's work. Most manufacturers have several frame sizes in their lineup with some overlap in HP. You need to examine what your limiting factors are, then pick a few models, and arrange a test drive. Another factor to consider is ease of attachment of the various implements. 3ph rear implements are all pretty much the same, but what about the loader? Are you planning to leave it on all the time or take it on and off? If you need to take the rotary cutter or finish mower off frequently to pull wagons, you may want one of the quick-attach systems for your 3ph implements. ....

View my Photos
Rhys Kellett

2005-10-19          118168

Hey...
I totally agree. 4wd is essentail if yuo have any sort of wet ground. Im a farmer in Ireland, Europe and know alot about tractors as we own a Tractor dealership!
Anyway...the first things is to have a price limit.. as alot depends on this. Do you want a very compact narrow tractor or is size not an issue?
you need to take these into consideration.

I highly recommend John Deere 5020 series or 6020 series or New Holland models as these are compact and very comfortble to drive. these brands hwever are quite expensive as you get very ergonimic controls and a comfortable ride for your money if you get suspension and extras. If however money is tight..consider Kubota etc. where they are simple yet reliable. Simple meaning a manual transmission gearbox like a car unlike tiptronic and a wet- clutch in John Deere and Newholland. It all depend on your budget!
I do alot of changing gears and reversing/going forward in tight gaps so i recommend a tip-tronic gearbox and a wet clutch as it means that you do not have to clutch to change direction...simply just pull leave back! ....

View my Photos
TRUCTOR

2005-10-19          118178

Recommend you check out a "tractor-truck" multi-purpose vehicle such as TRUCTOR T-4000. (See www.tructor.com).
These award-winning 4wd tractor-truck-loaders can "do it all" for the small farm or large-acreage land owner.
The patented Tructor configuration opens up new category within the current and growing utility tractor market with unique features:
1) multi-passenger seating
2) integrated cargo box
3) Reversible hydraulic PTO (Rear or Front)
4) Power down 3 point hitch (Rear or Front)
5) Hydrostatic 4wd to 25-mph road speed.
2006 Models expected to be available at selected US dealers by mid-2006. Custom configurations for oil fields, forestry, construction in min imum quantities of 50-units.
Planned pricing for 50-hp Kubota Diesel-powered, One-ton cargo unit range from $26,000 to $34,000 for T-4000 unit with Cab, Heat & A/C. All components sourced are US and world-class heavy-duty/industrial build (Kubota engines, Sunstrand Hydrostats & pumps, Dana axles, Husco valves, etc.
Feedback,comments and suggestions welcome.

Link:   TRUCTOR Home Page

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-19          118181

TRUCTOR

The machines you posted a link to look very practical as well a versital. Definitely worth considering. Please understand that Tractor Point has its operating costs and cannot operate in the black if folks advertise their equipment and wares at will. I am sure you did not intend it but posting your dealer website like as you did is SPAMMING this website. Please consider purchasing an advertisement package here on this board and support Dennis and Tractor Point. The more members and sponsors the merrier! Thanks in advance for your support! ....

View my Photos
TRUCTOR

2005-10-19          118188

Whoops! Didn't realize our comments should have been as an advertisement. Just wanted to get the word out on this new product from our small company. If you wish, please cancel or withdraw our comments. Also, please send costs of a sponsored link.
Go White Sox!

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-19          118189

The tructor is an interesting idea, but I am uncertain as to what you can patent. The first series of civilian jeep came with a PTO and 3pt hitch. The Unimog has all of this and more, how be it at a much larger price tag. ....

View my Photos
TRUCTOR

2005-10-20          118193

Thanks for your knowledgeable reply. Yes, we know about the US govt efforts to promote sales of surplus Jeeps after WWII by marketing the 3-pt hitch attachment. Unfortunately, though a clever design, it didn't have sufficient traction or power for serious plowing (not enough weight) and tended to burn out clutches. The UNIMOG is a very good specialized unit but very pricey at over $100,000, as you rightly say, and, it is too large for most small farm applications.
We have two US patents issued: 1997: a horizontally activated rock shaft 3-pt hitch and mechanical PTO, and 1999: a low-profile, hydraulic 3-pt hitch with down-pressure and a hydraulic, reversible PTO, both of which are transferable from rear to front (when Front Loader is removed). We have other patents pending for Self-Loading attachments, and for an articulated 3-pt hitch for mid-mount implements, such as belly mowers and scrapers. This configuration's patented innovations have won TRUCTOR several ASAE and industry awards. TRUCTOR photos and history are available on the Internet.
On price, TRUCTOR delivers robust & reliable performance through use of many components produced in automotive/1-ton truck economy of scale rather than the much lower volume of ag tractor quantities. ....

Link:   TRUCTOR Home Page

Picture Link
New Holland Tractors choosing the right tractor

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-10-20          118194

TRUCTOR:

Wasn't aware of a product such as yours. I would recommend advertising on this site. There are many people new to tractors here.

Looks like a clever design. I'd like to drive one. Am concerned about the box behind the cab blocking the view of rear mounted implements and high center of gravity. Do you also offer a smaller model? 50 HP and 5300 lbs. less the loader is quite heavy for us suburbanites. ....

View my Photos
TRUCTOR

2005-10-20          118200

TRUCTOR T-4000 can be currently seen in Columbus, Indiana by appt (772) 215-3131, and hopefully at a dealer near you in mid/late 2006.
Hitch & Implement view from cab is quite good with tailgate removed. Base model comes with Hitch Position Indicator. We also offer optional Rear-View Remote TV Screen which shows Hitch and Implement and rear ground view as you go.
Yes, we plan to build a smaller, lighter version for estates and suburbanites, but this size is what most of the commercial and ag market niches need now. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-10-20          118207

It looks like a very practical and useful machine. I could use something like that around the ranch. I notice that the top end speed was 25 mph which is a good bit faster than the Kubota RTV 900 and definitely more hp at nearly 50 hp. I REALLY like the reversable pto. That is a HUGE advantage with a PHD! Does this machine have any type of drive train suspension? Reason I ask is that my 4410 in C range wide open and flat out is REALLY unstable if you start going over bumps or uneven ground or pavement. The Tructor almost looks as if it could fill in for limited duty in place of a Polaris Ranger XP if it has some suspension flex capability to traverse rough terrain. It would be interesting if you could expand on these areas. Thanks! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login