Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tractor was running and will not restart

View my Photos
poapony
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2016-11-22          195956

Hope this does not get to long, Tractor MF 261, 2300 hours,4 cylinder Perkins.

Recently had to replace the fuel uplift pump, fuel line from tank to uplift pump and the filter. Uplift pump was leaking. Bled the fuel system and started right up.

Next time I used the tractor ran fine for about 30 minutes, was going up a slight hill in a pasture and engine sputtered but kept running. Drove about 50 yards and engine stopped and would not restart. Re-bled the system and started fine made it back to the gate and died again. Fuel gauge read low but not empty, checked the tank and had about 5 inches of fuel. Re-bled the system again and tractor fired right up, next day started tractor and let in run at idle for about 20 minutes with no problem. This was about 10 days ago.

Went to start tractor today everything was fine used for about 30 minutes and while going down road engine would slow down slightly then go right back to normal speed did this for about a quarter of a mile. Was doing it more up hill than on flat or going downhill. Went to drop off a round bale in same pasture and tractor died and would not restart. Re-bled the system tractor started went to next pasture going up hill and it died again. Got it out of the pasture and tried to re-bled the system twice and will not start.

To bled the system I loosen the small lower bolt on the injector pump and crank until fuel came out which was right away, then loosened the small upper bolt on the injector pump and cranked but hardly any fuel or air came out. Then I started with the injector closest to the seat and cranked until fuel came out and moved to the next injector. At the third injector the tractor tried to fire for a couple of seconds but would not start. Normally this was the time that it would be running.

I suspect that my injector pump might be bad as when I bled the injectors the fuel did not seem to have a lot of
pressure. Fuel did not squirt out like when I bled the injector pump.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2017-01-19          196151

Sorry not that familar with their system but had about same thing to happen on a Kubota recently and thougth oh well bad fuel and that was reason I replaced and then bleed my system. Well it failed to have full power, it would reach max rpm but with no load, just terrible on power. Finally remembered had a vine to catch on tractor in that area and looked very carefully there and it ahd partly engage the mechanic pull to cut off shut down if the electrical system did not work. I also found when I bleed the system had not opened a valve in the return line fully. I think that tractor has a pulll to stop the engine so check to be sure it is fully releasing and be sure all valves are fully open or close as should be. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2017-01-19          196153

There's not many engines that crank fast enough to start the engine under anything but perfect conditions.

I find that just a little quick-start or WD-40 (great for starting a diesel) makes the engine crank over fast enough to quickly purge the fuel system of any residual trapped air.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
shona13

2017-01-20          196155

Take the fuel filter of and check that the O ring inside the top of the filter housing has been fitted correctly ,then replace the Small O ring in the centre then replace the O ring on the bottom bowlthen replace the washer or O ring under the long bolt that holds it all together MAKE SURE THEY ARE ALL GOOD and gently tighten the centre bolt ,it does not need to be to tight.
If that does not fix it replace the rubberseals on the ends of the fuel pipes,anotehr problem could be the filter inside the fuel tank ,remove the flexible plastic fuel line from the tank valve,remove the valve ,remove the small screw that holds the tap into the body and remove the valve from the body,remove the small nylon filter and clean out and blow out with air and a piece of wire,reassemble and refit the fuel valve to the tank,use thread tape on the threads.
Hutch. ....

View my Photos
poapony

2017-01-20          196163

Thanks for your advice, turns out that whoever made that batch of lift pumps for AGCO all had problems. I assume that holes formed in the rubber bladder and they would stop pumping fuel. I went through three lift pumps before the dealer got a new batch and the first one worked just fine/ ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login