Go Bottom Go Bottom

starting problem

View my Photos
gator3
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-08-24          173428

I have a MF 1240 that will not start with the key. I have no power going to starter solenoid. If I put the key in the run position and run a jumper wire from positive battery to starter solenoid it will start and run great. It shuts off with the key but will not start with key. Any body had this problem? Many thanks in advance.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

starting problem

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-08-25          173432

You more than likely have a safety switch interlock issue. Frequently, my rear PTO lever vibrates slightly out of its "Off" position notch. I would check this out first. Likewise, make sure your clutch pedal is all the way down, hitting bottom. These two conditions would mean your safety switch tripping points may be at the very extreme, requiring very little variation for them not to function.

If an electical connection is not good somewhere in the system, you could be getting "no power" or a voltage drop from the key to the solenoid. If you use a tester with the key in start position, check if are you getting current to the solenoid. If you are only getting 8-10 volts the solenoid may not trip. If you are not getting current, trace it back to all of the interlocks where one of the switches are not making contact. It is either not functioning or out of adjustment. ....

starting problem

View my Photos
gator3

2010-08-25          173433

Thanks yooperpete I will take a look. You wouldn't happen to have a wiring diagram for this model or know where I could download one? ....

starting problem

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-08-25          173436

Sorry, but I can't help you with that. ....

starting problem

View my Photos
Murf

2010-08-25          173437

Sounds like the key switch itself is bad, bu before you replace it check that there isn't a fuse out or other simple wiring issue like some corrosion or a bad solder / crimp joint.

Best of luck. ....

starting problem

View my Photos
gator3

2010-08-25          173442

Murf I checked all fuses=good. Pulled dash and all the connections on the key are operating in all positions. With key in start position have power at key but not at wire end for soleniod. Checked for power going backwards at the next connetion and still no power. So I will keep backtracking until I find the problem. Thanks. ....

starting problem

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-08-25          173446

I have no idea what safety switches your tractor may have but hold the key to the start postion with all levers and pedals in the position they are suppose to be due to safety switches for the starter to work. Then take each lever one at the time and move it very slowly and see if it happens to be just slightly out of adjustment preventing the circuit from being closed. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login