Go Bottom Go Bottom

Massey Ferguson MF 135 Hydraulic Problem

View my Photos
mnewth
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-08-12          144626

Hi,
I have a 1969 MF135 which generally works well. We recently fixed a finger bar grass cutter to the machine and found that the front loader refused to respond to requests to raise itself! Told by various experts that an inability of the rear arms to move freely through their full scope would disable the front loader I removed the fingerbar - but the front still won't work! The rear arms will happily go up and down all day. I'm a newcomer to tractors and will gratefully receive any ideas that experienced users/owners may have. mike

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-08-12          144627

Mike,

Welcome to the group. I'm sure somebody here will be able to help you solve this problem.

Being that you are new to tractors, I would like to go over some of the basic stuff with you.

Have you checked your hydraulic fluid levels? The most common problem is that you don't have enough fluid to operate/extend the cylinders. When you installed the mower on the back, it's possible that you lost just enough fluid to cause this problem.

The mower's hydraulic circuit could have been completely dry, which could have sucked any reserve you had from your tractor when it filled.

Have you checked and/or changed your filters recently? Do you have any idea when they were changed last? It's possible that your filter is plugged up, causing you to lose fluid flow to your pump.

Both of these problems usually take place right after hooking up an implement that is powered by hydraulics.

I'm not familiar with your particular tractor, but I'm willing to bet that your problem is very simple in nature.

Let me know what you find after checking your fluid levels and filters.

Joel ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-08-12          144637

I'm with Joel's reply. In addition, if it is fluid-level related you will likely ruin the pump for the loader which is probably separate from the 3-pth pump, but they may use the same fluid reservoir--but not always; my buddy has a 1969 Ford 2000 with a factory loader. The loader uses the framework (tubing) of the loader itself as a reservoir. The pump for the loader is located on the front of the engine under the radiator. So I'd stop using the machine, and inspect the loader frame for a "reservoir" and a filler plug that looks out of place comapred to seeing it on a tank or reservoir. ....

View my Photos
mnewth

2007-08-20          144830

Thanks Joel,(sorry for the delay -been away),
The fluid level was above the low line but I've topped it up to full. The cutter bar uses the PTO rather than hydraulics so that won't have drawn any. As I understand it the 135 has only the one pump and that does seem to work fine at the rear. Although I don't see how filters would affect one end and not the other (my ignorance) I'll give them a shot and let you know. Again many thanks
mike ....

View my Photos
mnewth

2007-08-20          144831

Thanks for that. I will check the loader again(though it's such a simple one that I doubt it can have much to hide!). The MF135 is a bit simpler than the Ford as it only has the one pump. I'll look at filters but am still a bit mystified.
regards, mike ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-08-20          144836

Some Masseys require the 3 pth to be fully raised to use other hyd. systems. Try raising the arms fully and then see if the FEL works. Not sure the draft setting comes into play on this. kt ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-08-20          144837

My MF135 is equipped with a backhoe and loader. The pump does not have allot of flow capacity. It sometimes takes 10-20 seconds for the loader to respond after startup. My hoe operates slowly and won't move two cylinders simultaneously. Mine also has a diverter valve. In one direction, the backhoe is used (believe the 3 point is disabled-never used it) and the other direction, the loader operates. ....

View my Photos
mnewth

2007-08-20          144853

Thanks for that. Do you have any idea why the position of the rear arms can influence things at the front end? Just like Pete from the UP mine has a two way valve to pick whether the stuff at the front or the back gets the fluid flow. It always worked perfectly until we fitted the approx 400 lb 3 ph lifted cutter. (I probably hadn't put quite that load on the back before but it went up and down very well. Again thanks, mike ....

View my Photos
mnewth

2007-08-20          144855

Thanks Pete. I suppose that the answer could be in the front/back switch which I also have. I'll have a look. mike ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-08-21          144868

Mike, the understanding I have the 3 pt lift arms have to be fully raised to work has to do with who put the aux. hyd valve on. If built into it by Massey you did not have to raise the 3 pt arms. If dealer installed valves, the arms had to be raised to cause the fluid flow to be diverted to those valves. The Massey's I have seen that required the 3 pt arms to be raised I think all have the remote valves installed on top of the transmission. Not saying that holds true for all set ups. Massey still was using this option as recent as about 20 years ago. kt ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-08-21          144875

Mine has the valves mounted side by side on top of the transmission among all sorts of hoses, pipefittings and needless to say oil laying all over. This tractor of my group is a beater and ain't pretty but sure starts and operates nice.

The right valve must be held either forward or rearward depending which implement is to be used. A hookey clasp mechanism was built by somebody latching it in either intended position. The left valve controls the loader. So for it (loader) to work, the right valve must be held either forward or backward, I forget but think its forward. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-08-21          144881

One thing I will chime in on the 135, they sure were use a lot on tobacco here for years before all the multi row equipement and with the Ford 3000 probably used more in tobacco than any other models.

Yooperpete: sound like the same type of valve I have seen on Massey's that required the 3 pt arms to be fully raised to work. That is 100% raised, not almost fully but 100% fully raised. My brother has a much larger Massey with same set up. Amazed me to find as large as his it to be the same and that tractor is only 12 to 15 years old. It will limit you with some equipement. kt ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-08-22          144898

kthompson:
Sounds like you are correct about the valving setup and the 3 point position. I got this tractor from my dad's estate. We used it to dig ditches up at the hunting property. It has had a real, real hard life.

He bought it used (really used) from a guy that mainly loaded manure out of the barnyard. That had a lasting effect on the paint job. I just replaced one of the front tires and while I was at it, sandblasted the rim and painted the rim & wheel to the original paint scheme. Think the contrast of old vs: new even makes it look worse. The grille is gone and a tooth or more is missing out of "High" range so we only use low range. Atleast I don't have to worry about scratching it, so can do anything and go anywhere with it. ....

View my Photos
mnewth

2007-08-31          145244

Many thanks to all,

The problem in fact lay with the switch which diverts fluid flow to the front (loader) or back (3 point hitch) of the tractor. In my tractor's case the switch is more or less under the seat, mounted on the top of the transmission, and is pushed and pulled to send the power one way or other ; the thing that you don't want to do is to twist it(by a clumsy kick ,for example). This seems to be what happened and that will have spoiled the alignment of the hole which allows the fluid flow from pump to loader and the solution is ..... twist it back.
Sorry to have wasted people's time and, again, many thanks to those who helped.
mike ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-08-31          145247

Good Morning, Mike.

Glad to hear you got the problem fixed, but you didn't waste anyone's time. With each problem solved I learn something new, which is why I joined this group.

Thank you for reporting back to us.

Joel ....

View my Photos
LinsealOKO

2012-06-17          183915

Which direction for the lever for front and which for back hydraulics please? ....

View my Photos
shona13

2012-06-27          184047

G.Day mnewth.
Indeed yes the hydraulic selector valve you have on your tractor is push/ pull.
To operate the hydraulics you can only operate one or the other front loader OR three point hitch not both at the same time.
If you want to use the loader ,first set the draft lever the one nearest the right hand fender all the way back/up.
then raise the three point hitch using the position control lever to the height you want ,then PUSH the selector valve knob IN and move the position control lever ALL THE WAY BACK TO CONSTANT PUMPING this will give you hydraulic supply to the front end loader,if there is a loader operating valve on the loader this is what you will use to raise and lower the loader if not use the draft lever to control the loader.
to use the three point hitch set the loader at the height you want and PULL THE SELECTOR VALVE OUT,this will then give you three point hitch control,have a play and you will see how it works you can do no harm to the pump so long as there is oil in the gearbox.
Have fun
Hutch. ....

View my Photos
mnewth

2012-06-27          184064

G'day Shona and thanks for your info which I'm sure will be helpful to LinsealOko

Hope that the thread has helped LinsealOko.

kind regards
mike newth ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login