Go Bottom Go Bottom

Small bugs like lady bugs

View my Photos
kubotaguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-01          78316

I have these little bugs all around my house that look like lady bugs but they are orange instead of red and they will bite. Does anyone have any idea what would cause them to be attracted around the house? I currently do not have any landscaping around the house and the closest trees are about 75 feet away. Also do you know what I could use to get rid of them? They are even getting in my basement somehow.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
blizzard
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-01          78318

They are Asian lady beetles. See link below.
bliz ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-03-01          78324

Thanks blizzard, the information in the article was very helpful. There used to be a lot of orchards near me as well as farm land. I guess I'll have to spray for these things as they are very annoying. ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-01          78325

Every Fall, my garage, boat, attic, and every other crevis they can find get swarmed with them. They are just looking for a place to sleep the winter out. In the Spring the ones that survived the Winter dissappear and the unlucky ones I just vaccum or sweep up. They are very beneficial as they eat aphids. They are also good luck. Never had any bite me though. You can spray to kill them and keep them away but then you may pay the price in aphids infesting your yard. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2004-03-01          78339

There are a few other candidates but it sounds like Asian Lady bugs. They've been a real problem around here. Huge swarms congregate around buildings in the fall. They do bite and stink when disturbed and they get into everything. They have no natural predators or parasites and about the only spray that does much contains the same insecticide that's found in bed bug power. There is a 'deterrent spray' that's expensive and doesn't last too long. Chinking up all openings in a building is about the only way to deal with them and that's not feasible for many buildings. I've shop vacuumed them up by the gallon off the outside of the house and still been stuck with some inside all winter long.

They've been favourites among the organic set, and supply houses sell millions of them to suburban gardeners. Our NR folks had a release program in soybean areas further south. Good for aphid plagued soybean growers and suburban gardeners who can be all sorts of virtuous about using no poison. Bad for us! The dang things congregate by the 10's of millions, drift north on warm winds, run into colder air about here and all come down looking for a place to stay. It's been a mess every year till last when suspicion has it that NR stopped it's release program. They've also pretty well crowded out our native species of lady bugs. Those are the lucky ones and they don't bite.

View my Photos
Abbeywoods

2004-03-01          78357

Here in New England we are experiencing the wholesale destruction of hemlocks due to the Asian wooly adelgid. The Asian lady bugs are predators of the adelgid and we landscapers use them when homeowners are reluctant to use insecticidal soap spray. It takes about two years for the lady bugs to get a thirty foot hemlock under control, that is, provided they don't fly away, which of course, they naturally do to our great dissatisfaction. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2004-03-01          78424

I have not seen any bites, but losts of lady bugs.
Neither species have few natural predators, like the Monarchs they are red and taste bad. A predator normally only tastes one. I remember feeding one to a turtle and no more. Birds quickly get the message. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login