Go Bottom Go Bottom

Crawdad eradication

View my Photos
BARNEE
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-28          69883

My property has low spots that stay wet for awhile after rains. Crawdads thrive in this area & build their mounds, especially after the rain comes. Does anyone know of a way of getting rid of these pests? I've got about 1.5 acres of lawn & get literally hundreds of mounds during the wet season so i'm looking for some way of treating the lawn rather than sticking a mothball down each mound or some such remedy.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Crawdad eradication

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-28          69884

You DEFINITELY don't want to do the moth ball thing as those chemicals will go into the water table. Try laying some drain tile/pipe in those wet prone locations to drain off the water before it saturates the soil. Dig the ditch about 12 - 18" deep, lay gravel about 2 - 4", lay drain tiles& cover back up. Direct all of the drains to the lowest natural drainage of your property and the problem should be fixed for good. ....

Crawdad eradication

View my Photos
BARNEE

2003-11-28          69886

Thanx for the reply Chief, but drainage isn't practical for me. Some areas I've got are lower than the culverts along the road out front! I found this out when i tried to cut a drainage ditch to the culverts & the water from the road drain back into my property! The only thing i've thought of so far is to bring material in to fill in the areas. If i have to i will, but i thought i'd check with y'all first to see if anyone had an easier (and cheaper) fix. ....

Crawdad eradication

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-11-28          69891

Crawdads thrive in this area & build their mounds, especially after the rain comes. Does anyone know of a way of getting rid of these pests?

Cook em! :) ....

Crawdad eradication

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-28          69892

I like mine steamed and SPICEY! ;-) Lots of Old Bay Seasoning. ....

Crawdad eradication

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-11-28          69897

Yeah, Barnee just needs a few friends and a big pot!

If it rains anymore here I am going to have to get my horses skates when it finally does freeze up! Crawdads are NOT my problem but ice may be if this doesn't stop by mid Dec. As I type it is pouring...again! ....

Crawdad eradication

View my Photos
BARNEE

2003-11-28          69900

Man I'd eat'em too if i could catch em! Maybe that's an idea..i'll figure out what they eat, lay a line of it from the yard to the cooking pot & taa-daa, the pied piper of crawdads.

F350Lawman, I know what you mean about the rains too. About 2 months ago I got 15" over a 2 week period & then 3 weeks ago we got 6" overnite as another front moved through!. As they say, when it rains, it pours.....at least here in south Texas. ....

Crawdad eradication

View my Photos
Peters

2003-11-28          69904

It might not be deep enough for a crawdad trap, I have used them in a lake, but not in the yard. ....

Crawdad eradication

View my Photos
harvey

2003-11-29          69909

Barnee Whats your house level compared to the road? If you need fill and it won't make your house a low spot ask the towns to put their ditch fill in your yard. Its lots cheaper then buying. ....

Crawdad eradication

View my Photos
bnrhuffman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-29          69911

Barnee,
This may or may not be of help, either way, thatnks for bringing back a good childhood memory for me.
One of the houses I grew up in had the same problem with crawdads. There was an underground stream that ran through the property and the water table was just below the surface. You could actually look down in the holes and see water about 8" under the surface except during the dryest of times. The crawdad problem wouldnt go away until we put a drainage tile around the upper part of the ground which deverted the stream away.
The part about the crawdads that I remember best is going out at night with my freinds, a flashlight and a small homemade noose on a stick. the crawdads would hangout just below the surface or comeout to rebuild their mounds after I would mow. When we would shine the light on them, they would freeze and you could lasso one of their front claws. by morning, we would have about a half ucket full. We never ate them, just let them go in the creek down the street.
I guess Im saying, if its not feasable to improve the drainage, get yourself some kids and flashlights. ....

Crawdad eradication

View my Photos
BARNEE

2003-11-29          69956

my house is high enough that adding material to the low spots wouldn't matter. I was just trying to see if there was an easier way of taking care of my crawdad buddies.

The suggestion to see if the county would give me their byproduct material is something i'll need to look into. If that worked out it would be a match made in heaven. Another guy i talked to said to see if the swimming pool companies would dump their dirt at my place instead of wherever they go now.

thanx all for the ideas. ....

Crawdad eradication

View my Photos
lbrown59
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-10-07          97865

I've goten fre fill dirt from the state when they clean out the road ditches .
One time they dumped about15 truck loads here.

Crawdad eradication

View my Photos
Kendews

2004-11-28          101197

I'm just chiming in to say that I found this thread facinating. Here in New England we have a few Crawdads, but only in lakes or streams. I never heard of them anywhere else. I can't imagine going barefoot in your grass. I assume that they have to stay wet sinsce they have gills, so how do they live in your lawn? Is it always water just below the surface? where did they come from? Are you connected to a permanent stream or something? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login