Go Bottom Go Bottom

New Lawn Advice

View my Photos
Chris
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-06-10          39460

I have 5 acres of weeds that I am attempting to convert into a lawn. I have gone over the entire area twice with a rotary tiller to chew up any vegetation and loosen the top couple of inches of soil. The question is, what's next? This is the first time I've used the tiller, it seems to smooth the soil fairly well as it passes but it makes it a lot more 'fluffy' than I expected. Will the soil gradually settle and smooth out on its own or do I need go back over it with some secondary implement prior/post to seeding?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

New Lawn Advice

View my Photos
Paul Fox
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-06-11          39463

If you want a "putting green" type lawn you gotta kill all weeds first, usually with some fairly nasty chemicals. If, like me, the two primary considerations for an acceptable lawn are that it's green and you can run over it with a lawnmower, then I've had a lot of luck broadcast seeding over the loose soil, then rolling it, and spreading straw over the top to retain mositure and discourage birds. Be aware that the straw invariable contains weed seeds.

See your local feed-and-seed place or nursery regarding seed type that is best suited to your area, fertilizer type and application rates, and whether or not you'll need to add lime.

New Lawn Advice

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-06-11          39468

The normal objective is to break up the soil. For example I had to disk and harrow to obtain a relatively loose soil.
I broad cast fertilizer and my seed with sand to achieve more even coverage. I towed the Harrow behind the tractor mounted spreader to cover the grass as I planted. You can roll the grass also, but my small had roller it would take some time to cover 5 acres, let alone the 2 I just planted. I did not mulch over the top. ....

New Lawn Advice

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-06-12          39497

When I was a kid the landscapers would put "Salt Hay" on top of new lawn seed beds.

I never new what the "salt" part of the hay thing meant until lately. If you use plain hay you will get the weed and pasture seeds from wherever the hay came from in your new lawn. If you can find "salt" hay you will have no problem, as "Salt Hay" is hay from salt marsh that needs a salty environment to germinate, so normal residential lawn use as a seed bed topping will not cause introduction of pasture seeds into your yard.

Dennis
C TB ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login