Go Bottom Go Bottom

Snake charming

View my Photos
bigbukhntr
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-05-17          38723

Help!! I have a cottonmouth, bout 3' long, hanging around the bottom of my land where the rain water doesnt drain very well. The first time I saw him, I really wasnt concerned as I kinda figured he would leave pretty soon..but now as we have had lots of rain and the area isnt drying out, I am seeing him more and more..i mowed yesterday and I got pretty close to the wet area and i saw him twice, moving away from the tractor each lap I made..the grass is pretty high in this area, and I am kinda leary about gettin my weedeater out and cutting it with him in there. My main concern is that I have kids who like to ride their 4 wheelers on the property and I would really like to get rid of him (the snake), not the kid! Any suggestions on ridding the area of snake(s), other than shooting them, which I really am not opposed too..

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Snake charming

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-17          38727

Buy a mongoose?
Let the kid deal with the snake?
Last year my daughter ran up after I returned from work. Her brother had picked up a snake near one of our ponds. I asked her to describe it, brown body, read head, heart shaped head.
Laced into my son, why was he picking up the snake? To move it out of the way to fish. Why was he playing with a snake when he did not know what type it was? You know you are not allowed to touch snake that you do not know what they are!!! He did. Why was he playing with the copper head? Because he knew what it was and had seen the Croc Hunter deal with them.New set of rules!!! ....

Snake charming

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-20          38819

Hey BBH, that is why God made big bore pistols, comfortable holsters and Speer shot loads. Pack the appropriate dispenser on your hip until you see it again and try to get within six feet and center the shot load on its head. I have killed grouse and other assorted small critters with the 44 magnum version, very effective out to about 15 feet in the larger calibers. They are made in 22, 38, 9mm, 44 and two types of 45's. Also very safe in close-in places as the small shot probably doesn't travel more than about 75 to 100 yards. ....

Snake charming

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2002-05-20          38822

If you're close enough to see him, see if he can outrun (crawl/slither?) your tractor's cutter.
jim ....

Snake charming

View my Photos
bigbukhntr

2002-05-20          38827

hey jim, tried that, but he always heads for the wet part of the land, bout a 150' diameter which still hasnt dried out yet..we get friggin' rain every week here in texas in the early spring, then beg for it the rest of the summer! ....

Snake charming

View my Photos
TC33

2002-05-20          38834

Rains every weekend here... and sunny during the work week..

Ohio.. stick around the weather will change!!! ....

Snake charming

View my Photos
David Carpenter

2002-05-20          38840

I use a 20ga shotgun with dove loads. don't have to be a really good shot just be within a 1 ft circle from 20yds. does a ggod job of destroying the snakes head and leaving the body for the catfish to eat. If you are concerned about the lead you can go to 16 or 12 ga with the bismuth or steel shot. ....

Snake charming

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-20          38842

I like to use the high speed pellet rifle. I get a couple of shots off before they realize what is happening. I don't have to disturb the neighbours.
I save the 20 gauge for the armadillos. ....

Snake charming

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-05-20          38846

The 20 gauge would certainly be more effective, but I never seem to have one handy when I need it, Much easier to slip an airweight snubby in the back pocket. Two holes for shot loads and the remaining three filled with something more serious. The last poisonous critter we saw was a couple of years ago. A sidewinder at our feet when we stepped out the front door in the morning. Had to make do with a dull axe that time. ....

Snake charming

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-20          38848

Certainly a startling experience.
I have never really been startled by a snake, but did need to check the drawer once for a big black thing.
In the bunkhouse at a Camp in Clowhom Falls I had the timber cruiser in my bunk. He had dogs to keep the bears at bay in the woods and normally they were on the stoop in the morning. They kept the bears at bay at night in the camp.
He got up one morning and left early, without me hearing him. I got out of the shower , dressed and headed for the cookhouse. I heard a noise on the stoop but assumed it was the dogs, opened the door and felt hot breath on my naval. Looked down to see a 500lb 2 year old black bear huffing. My hair stood on end I stepped back slammed the door, jumped into the bathroom and slammed the door.
Checked pants for contents, went back to see where the bear had gone. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login