Go Bottom Go Bottom

BX22 Wheel spacers

View my Photos
Rob V
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-03-14          51164

I have just bought a BX22 and am basically happy. My property is very steep in parts and I want to increase the wheel spacing to increase stability. Anyone know of nay spacers?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

BX22 Wheel spacers

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-14          51174

The rear wheels have the same bolt pattern as many car and trailer wheels, so if there are spacers available for other things they might also work on your BX. You would have to get longer lug bolts and I don't know if they are standard or metric threads.

Also of concern would be the possibility of placing extra stress on the axle flanges by moving the tires outboard.

I can recommend Kubota's wheel weights for this model. If you don't already have them they do add a measure of stability. ....

BX22 Wheel spacers

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-15          51189

I like Marks idea of the weights. They to, put stress on the axle shafts but not as much as the spacers. Not much worse than having a broken axle on the down side of the hill. ....

BX22 Wheel spacers

View my Photos
Rob V

2003-03-15          51197

Thanks for the responses. My latest thought was to put dual wheels on. Probably work on the back, but a bit tricky on the front. The front wheel is the big problem. When turning on a slope, if the little front inside/downhill wheel goes into a mole hole type depression the balance point is severely compromised. ....

BX22 Wheel spacers

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-03-15          51202

Boy, your lot must be really steep.

Messing around with the front wheels will do little but screw up your steering geometry I think. Since the front axle is designed to pivot anyway, the is little you can do there to enhance the lateral stability.

The BX rims are unusually deep for their size so it would be interesting to see just how one could go about designing a functional set of dualing hardware.

What many folks with steep slopes have finally come to is the practice of traversing the slopes only straight up or straight down and never driving across the face of the slope.

Sometimes, after loading the tires or putting on the wheel weights, it is the only operational solution.

At least you can rest assured that you have purchased just about the most stable tractor on the market. ....

BX22 Wheel spacers

View my Photos
Morgan

2003-03-15          51224

Rob V,

I am in the process of making my B6200 into a dual. It will have 4 wheels in the back, so the tractor won't tip. I bought two rims and two tires, and have figured out all the basics about mounting them onto the stock wheels, and there is no problem. Well, there is one problem. Let me tell you what I am doing...

The tires I have in the rear are 8.3 by 16 ag treads. Now I have 4, two for each side. On each side, the inner wheel bolts to the hub by the 6 lugs on the 6 inner holes. The rim also has 4 outer holes (square holes to fit carriage bolts to hold the wheel weights) and I bought 4 carriage bolts 12 inches long, and 1/2 inch bolts. To fit in between the two wheels as a spacer, I am using rims designed for 14 inch automobile tires, they fit exactly into the recess on each of the tractor rims,and hold the two tractor wheels about 4 inches apart so the tires don't touch or will with dirt between them. The size that fits best is A-14-DM-5 steel rims. The 4 carriage bolts fit the thing perfectly and I'm using wheel weights on the outside of the outer rims. So, to summarize, the carriage bolts go from the inner rim, through the spacer rim, then the outer rim, and finally the wheel weight, and 12 inch bolts are perfect.

The problem is, will the 4 carriage bolts be strong enough to take the torque when the inner wheel starts to turn the outer wheel, or will the whole thing twist right off? I mean, what happens if the inner wheel gets in the mud and slips and the outer wheel is on dry dirt and takes all the torque? Then all the torque is going through 4 little 1/2 inch carriage bolts. They might break. I don't know what to do that can connect the 2 wheels together in a stronger way, to take the torque. Maybe some sort of iron chucks welded between the rims so the two wheels can't twist with respect to each other, and the torque is driven by the chucks, and the carriage bolts just hold it together.

What do people normally do to connect the outer wheels to the inner ones in a permanent and strong manner? ....

BX22 Wheel spacers

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-03-15          51229

Hey guys, here is a place to start the quest. ....

Link:   

Click Here

BX22 Wheel spacers

View my Photos
Morgan Wright

2003-03-15          51233

Thanks!!!! I checked out that site and found they have dealers near me. I used the dealer locator on that site.

Maybe I'll get duals in the front too!! Or front wheel extenders. Who needs to tip????

BX22 Wheel spacers

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-03-16          51290

Unverferth makes specialty, aftermarket wheel spacers and duals. And also, it is not uncommon to have duals on the front. Some turning ability is compromised, but I have seen it done many many x's on small tractors with no problems. ....

BX22 Wheel spacers

View my Photos
Morgan Wright

2003-03-23          51680

Well, I just finished one side, making duals with it. It looks great! Unviferth doesn't make a dual hub this size, and when I went down to the Unviferth dealer and saw the way they rig two wheels together, it's no different than what I was doing...just stick a spacer in between the two and bolt the two sides together. So, I just did it that way, and it's fine. If their way works, mine will too.

Today, the other side. Then the front!! ....

BX22 Wheel spacers

View my Photos
Morgan Wright

2003-03-27          52007

Today I finished turning my B6200 into a dual! I can't believe how much more stable it feels, knowing the tractor can go over stumps and into gopher holes and I never worry about tipping. It's like the wheels are anchored into the ground. The ride is so much more smooth. It's unbelievable.

Yes, all 4 rear wheels have calcium!! ....

BX22 Wheel spacers

View my Photos
Morgan

2003-04-06          52663

Today I measured the Kubota, the outer treads are 66 inches now that it's a dual, when they used to be only 45 inches.

So, from 3 foot 9 to 5 foot 6! That's a difference. ....

BX22 Wheel spacers

View my Photos
Morgan

2003-04-06          52664

Let me clarify. I'm talking about the width of the rear wheelbase...how far apart the outermost tires are in the back. ....

BX22 Wheel spacers

View my Photos
Morgan

2003-04-07          52702

So, the tractor width is 66 now when it used to be 45 but it was only 45 because the rims were already reversed. If the rims had not been reversed the width would only be 38.6 according to the owner's manual. So my tractor went from 38.6 to 66 wide, that's almost double!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody who is afraid of tipping their tractor from hills and rough terraine, this is the way to go!! No way in heck this tractor will ever tip now! Plus, it looks good! ....

BX22 Wheel spacers

View my Photos
Morgan

2003-04-09          52888

Here's the web site where I put photos of my dual Kubota!!!

http://www.hoyhoy.com/kubota.htm ....

BX22 Wheel spacers

View my Photos
fossilboy

2003-04-15          53175

Morgan,

So how much $$ and time did it take you to do the dually conversion? I'm considering a used B7100HSD but all the discussion about roll-over is worrisome to a first time tractor owner. I have almost an acre of 10 deg. slope that I want to mow and now I'm worried I shouldn't buy this tractor as this might be an unsafe use for it. After reading many of the threads here it is obvious there are multiple factors to contribute to make a situation 'unsafe' and many things one can do to increase the safety of the situation. Being that your B6200 is very similar to the B7200 I'm considering would you say that my 10 deg. slopes would be much safer after applying the dually conversion? ....

BX22 Wheel spacers

View my Photos
Morgan

2003-04-15          53184

Fossilboy,

It wasn't so much the slope that had me scared enough to dual my Kubota. It was the roughness of the land which was solid woods until I cleared it, which means it has tree stumps and rocks and holes and all sorts of odd crevices. If the downhill wheel goes in a gopher hole and the uphill wheel goes over a stump or rock, it gets really scary. But you have lawn, which I think is no problem. I think if the lawn is smooth like most lawns are, 10 degrees is no problem. The reason I was so scared is my land tips 20 or 30 degrees all the time and is full of rocks and stumps.

Now that I'm dualed, NO PROBLEM!! IT'S AWESOME!!! ....

BX22 Wheel spacers

View my Photos
Morgan

2003-04-15          53185

Oh yeah you asked how much money.

2 new ag tires $100 each
4 new 16 inch rims $50 each (the original 2 were rusty)
2 14-inch Honda car rims as spacers $39 each
labor to mount 4 tires to rims maybe $75 total
4 inner tubes at $16 each
100 pounds of calcium per tire $?? each

now get a calculator, I think it's around $600 total

BX22 Wheel spacers

View my Photos
fossilboy

2003-04-16          53227

Morgan,
With the kind of slope on your place the stumps and gohper holes would be a real issue I'm sure. My timbered area is limited to only 2 acres and I've tried to keep most of the stumps all the way down flush with the ground. But if I went to a dually like you did then it sounds like I wouldn't even have to worry! And for the cost you are talking about the added access would be worth it. Thanks! ....

BX22 Wheel spacers

View my Photos
928mr2

2018-09-14          197983

Hi, I know this post is 14 years old but just in case... I would like to make my B6200 wider cause I tipped it today. The idea of adding 2 rear wheels is not bad. Is there another suitable way? With thick enough wheel spacers?
Thank's ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login