Go Bottom Go Bottom

kubota hydraulic control valve problem

View my Photos
bristan8
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-08-17          187867

I was using my 2320 on Friday afternoon to move some logs and bushes to a stockpile. I have some forks fitted to the bucket. The stockpile is quite high now and when the bucket was in the dump position and high up after emptying, I reversed the tractor. The forks were still partially in the bushes. I heard a bang and noticed that the bucket would no longer move from the dump position. I moved the control lever left and right but all that happened was that oil gushed out of the hydraulic control valve just under the lever. I drove the tractor back into the shed and noticed oil dripping out onto the floor. The bucket still went up and down so this function was working. I rang the dealer who said he would ring me next week and wants to pick up the tractor and take it back to the workshop. I couldn't speak to a mechanic on Friday so I was wondering if anyone on the forum could enlighten me as to what the problem might be and what could be involved in the repairs? The valve looks quite difficult to get at as it is tucked down between the mudguard and the gearbox.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
MHarryE
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-08-18          187870

Reading through the description of what happened, the forks were down when you backed up, and they were still partially in the bushes. You were not moving the control lever at the time. The relief valve in your hydraulic system only comes into play when you are moving the control lever. Once the lever is moved back to neutral, there is no relief valve. Long forks fitted to the bucket create a feedback - if they hit an immoveable object or difficult to move object, the cylinder piston compresses the hydraulic fluid and can reach extremely high pressures until the weakest point in the system fails. Sometimes this is a hose but it appears from your description this is something in your control valve. However it could be as simple as the hose burst where it attaches to the valve and the fix will be replacing the hose. A burst hose at the valve would result in the symptoms you describe - when you try the dump function in either direction oil is going to flow out of the burst hose because it is a double acting system - there is either oil being pumped to the extend or to the retract end of the cylinder so you will always end up with oil flowing no matter whether you are dumping of leveling the bucket. Hopefully this is your problem and it can be fixed by replacing a hose. It could get more expensive if the failure occurred in the valve itself. ....

View my Photos
bristan8
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-08-20          187880

That sounds like a pretty comprehensive and correct explanation. Thanks for your interest.
I still haven't had a visit from the dealer. I may have to fix it myself. I think the rear wheel and mudguard would have to be removed to get at the control valve. It doesn't appear to have hoses going into the valve , just metal pipes. Considering there was a metallic sounding bang when it happened the problem may well be in the valve. I wasn't aware that this was so easy to do as I reversed quite slowly with little power applied. I will have to be more careful in the future. Seems strange that it doesn't have some sort of safety valve or pressure relief for this type of accident.
Regards ....

View my Photos
bristan8

2013-10-03          188064

Just to update: The tractor is now repaired. It was one of the connections to the control box. The original part from my 2008 b2320 had been "superseded" which caused the dealer some worry as he was told By Kubota that the replacement would have to be modified. After nearly two weeks the dealer said he fitted the part anyway and he couldn't see why it needed to be modified. He also said the replacement was a better design and was less likely to fail. In any case, having the weakest link in the system tucked down behind the mudguard and difficult to get at, seems a bad design feature to me. I am awaiting the bill. ....

View my Photos
bristan8

2013-10-04          188067

Not quite fixed. I started using the loader and now find that it won't empty if I push the lever with normal pressure. It just locks up after travelling a random distance sometimes as little as one inch. If I use a very soft touch it will slowly empty all the way. The dealer doesn't know why. Has anyone here had that sort of problem? Or have any idea what it could be?
The dealer is wanting to pull the valve apart. ....

View my Photos
bristan8

2013-10-15          188130

After another trip back to the workshop and another week waiting the dealer says it is now fixed. It seems the valve in the hydraulic coupling where the loader connects was shutting off when pressure was present, even though it was still connected to the loader. Two couplings were replaced. This was possibly caused by the original overload as it has never done it before. Still waiting for the bill ....

View my Photos
taogden

2013-10-15          188131

I have a 2320 also, but have had no problems such as you are seeing. Thanks for posting though, gives me a heads up. ....

View my Photos
bristan8

2013-11-06          188288

I just received the bill for this work. $1079 ($1025 us).
...ouch! I am less than impressed with the Kubota dealer.
Seems a lot to pay to replace a $117 hydraulic line.
I have been charged two lots of transport even tho the tractor was returned not fixed due to inadequate testing.
Next time I will go to a local mechanic! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2013-11-06          188292

Think you need to have a good conversation with the dealership. I would. ....

View my Photos
gaspur

2013-11-07          188307

That is outrageous for their screw up. ....

View my Photos
gaspur

2013-11-07          188308

View my Photos
gaspur

2013-11-07          188309

View my Photos
bristan8

2013-11-07          188310

It is always a problem when they wont give you a quote. I think it is too high but their labour charge is $90 per hour which is not unusual here. Freight was $180 for four trips of 7klm each I may complain or I might just wear it to avoid any further hassles. They have a virtual monopoly in my town as the nearest other Kubota or tractor dealer is quite a long way away. Not the best for obtaining good service. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login