Go Bottom Go Bottom

BX1500 TOP LINK

View my Photos
getmcghee
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-01-29          159902

Hi, can anyone tell me the total collapsed lenght of the bx1500 toplink. I need one and the oem is 200.00, after market is about 30.00, but I need to know the length before ordering one.
All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Jim

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

BX1500 TOP LINK

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-29          159904

It might be a bit more complicated than that. The BX series uses a strange sort of class 0/1 top link.

If you buy a short Cat 1 link, the ball ends will be too fat and you will have to figure out how to machine them down to fit the slots.

If you buy a Cat 0 link it will fit the slots but the holes are 5/8 inch and not 3/4 .

If you decide you want a short cat 1 link to modify I have one in the garage collecting dust. ....

BX1500 TOP LINK

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-29          159906

There is lots of stuff in the archives on this topic.

Here is a sample of what I got by typing "BX,Top link" into the web site search engine.

Link:   

Click Here

BX1500 TOP LINK

View my Photos
getmcghee

2009-01-29          159910

Thanks, I have a toplink (kubota) that fits into the slot on rear of tractor, but it's from a bx23 and is nearly 3" to long, can it be cut down. And if so, got any suggestions?
Thanks Jim ....

BX1500 TOP LINK

View my Photos
DRankin

2009-01-29          159912

Yes. I cut mine down. You have to get past the fact that the threads are distorted to keep you from unscrewing the threaded portions. Here's how:

1. remove the small screws from the body of the link.

2. look in the screw holes and watch while you extend the link. When you see the spot where the threads have been distorted with a punch, stop there.

3. find a needle file that is "v" shaped and matches the threads. Stick the needle file in the screw hole and turn the link threads back and forth while you file away (clean up)the punch distortion.

4. Disassemble the link.

5. Cut the necessary amount from the center of the link. Square up the cuts and weld the body back together. I had to go down to the local auto body shop and give them some bucks for the welding.

6. You may have to shorten the threaded portions too, depending on how much you take off the body. Just cut with a hack saw and clean up the thread ends with the same needle file. ....

BX1500 TOP LINK

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-01-29          159922

Do you not have your old one to measure by?

BX1500 TOP LINK

View my Photos
getmcghee

2009-01-29          159932

Thanks very much, excellent how to instructions...Thanks again, Jim ....

BX1500 TOP LINK

View my Photos
getmcghee

2009-01-29          159933

Nope don't have one to measure, but I've been told by a Kubota dealer to cut link down to 16" on pin hole center.
I hope this is correct, because I'm armed with the instructions on how to accomplish the task.
Thanks Jim ....

BX1500 TOP LINK

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-01-30          159940

One recommendation on D Rankin's suggestions. Try to cut it with band saw or chop saw to have straight edges to work with.

Another one, ask around for the local welding, machine shop that has one or two guys (normally, looking for a shop who can will do odd jobs) in it for such work. If you are using a tractor and equipment, odd thinks will happen. :-) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login