Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota L2900GST Transmission

View my Photos
madfox
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-08-31          156419

I recently purchased a Kubota L2900GST tractor with 500 hours. Everything looked good but the previous owner said it was stuck in 4WD,but it's actually stuck in 2WD.The shift handle won't move. I plan on taking it in to a dealer for repairs. Has anyone had this problem? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-09-02          156445

Have you done the simple items such as look for a stick in the linkage, oil the linkage and such? Could it be just needing to be adjusted? Linkage will rust in place. kt ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-09-02          156446

Unless you use it all the time the 2WD/4WD shift can get very sticky.

Have you tried shifting it (it may take some real pressure on the handle) while you are slowly moving STRAIGHT forward on (it works best) fairly soft loose ground.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
madfox

2008-09-02          156459

KT and Murf Thanks for your reply.You gave me a good starting point. I am mechanically incline to some degree so I like to try to fix it myself. I am new to farm tractors,just feeling my way around now. I purchased the L2900 with FEL, bush hog, scraper blade and some other attachments for 9 grand.The seller seemed to be up front about everything. It looks and runs great except for the one problem.I greatly appreciate the info. I will let you know the out come. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-09-03          156466

madfox, like the name. Every heard of the Swamp Fox?

Did you get a manual with your tractor? If so it would be good to read it carefully. I have a Hydro trans with 4 wheel drive. Often when putting into gear or into 4 wheel drive I have to move the gears in the transmission sort of like Murf pointed out. (Normally operating another lever or drive pedal solves mine.) Not a problem of shifting out of 4 wheel drive back to 2 EXCEPT when the tractor has been driven in 4 wheel drive on a hard surface where the front tires can not slip as they need to. Normally 4 wheel drive should not be used on a firm surface. All may not be but many are designed with the front wheels to spin a little faster than the rear so they need to be able to slip some. I can "feel" when my tractor is in 4 wheel drive and on too firm a surface as the tractor will bind. kt ....

View my Photos
madfox

2008-09-03          156475

Kt and Murf, You saved the day. There was not much exposed linkage to check, so I did what you suggested. Working the handle back and forth gently, pulled forward etc. and it popped in 4wd. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said it was frozen up from lack of use.You made my week.Thanks for the info. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-09-04          156484

madfox, that is great. Thank you for the feed back. Hope you will chime in often and share with us.

I have found the need to oil the exposed linkage often. There is so much more there compared to older tractors. kt ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-09-04          156487

Glad to be of assistance. :)

Being a Murphy, Murphy's Law appears on a regular basis for me, I'm glad to be able to pass along the 'cures' for it every now & then. ;)

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login