Go Bottom Go Bottom

B2910 HSD gear selection problem

View my Photos
domogala
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-07-21          155498

Hello all. As I was shuttling buckets of dirt around today, I found myself without the high and low gears. If I put the selector in L, the tractor is in neutral. The other two gears (M and H) both get me into medium gear. The first thing I checked was the gear selector mechanism going into the transmission. It looks like the roll pin is out about an 1/8 inch or so, but it looks like its been that was for some time. If I go into a spot where it is neutral and apply some forward pedal and try to go into gear, I do get resistance and get some gear grind (I'm taking it very easy, just checking to see if the shift fork completely broke). Just pinging you guys to see if someone has ran into this before and what the resolution was if so.

Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-07-21          155500

Dogmogala,

I'm willing to bet that if you drive that roll pin out, you'll find that it's been sheared off.

Drive out that roll pin and see if it's in one piece. If it is, we'll have to check elsewhere for the problem, but I have no idea what else it could be.

The shifter lever seems to have slipped on the shaft, and that could only happen if the roll pin sheared off.

It should be an easy fix.

Joel ....

View my Photos
domogala

2008-07-22          155505

I looked in the service manual last night. There's nothing complex about the shifting mechanism. The shifting lever that goes into the transmission mid section and directly drives a shifting fork which in turn slides the gear set between the three different gears. My worst fear is that I broke the shifting lever or fork inside the transmission. If so, this is gonna turn into quite a complicated job. I would think that the roll pin would shear before either of those two would break. I have a little bit of disassembly to do before I can even get to the roll pin.
I'm gonna finish digging and filling the pit I started for the rock collection I have. Then I'll start surgery. ....

View my Photos
domogala

2008-07-22          155549

I inserted some steel welding wire through the center of the roll pin and excercised the shift lever from one end to the other. The wire came back out in one piece, so the roll pin is not sheared. With the tractor turned off, I tried going through the gears and after a couple of cyckes I could not feel any more detents in the positions. So I'm convinced the shifting fork and/or shifting lever internal to the mid transmission is now completely broke. The tractor luckily was still in gear so I dropped the backhoe and the FEL to prepare it for surgery. I'll be going at it tomorrow evening. I positioned the rear end right under a hoist I have in my barn ceiling just in case I need it for heavy lifting. If I can manage I'll take some photos along the way.

View my Photos
domogala

2008-07-23          155593

Surgery commenced on the B2910 today. Getting the machine apart was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The root cause of the failure was a bent shifting lever. I'm also going to replace the shifting fork at the same time while I'm in there since there were signed of wear spots in places. Everything else looks fine. I'll post some photos once I have the new lever to compare against. For those of you who change gear ranges a lot, be as gentle as you can slamming from one range to another. It took almost 670 hours to cause a problem for me, and I'm always changing ranges whether it be moving stuff around, snow blowing or grading with the machine. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-07-24          155609

Your tractor has a hydrostatic transmission correct?

Do you use the clutch to change rangers? kt

View my Photos
domogala

2008-08-05          155817

I don't usually use the clutch at all. I only use the clutch to engage either of the PTOs since that's the only way to stop the gears first. For range shifting, what I always do is stop rolling and make sure I don't have to force the shift lever. Once you are not rolling the gears are stopped already, its just a matter of the teeth lining up. If it appears at all bound from the teeth not meshing, I will move forward or reverse slightly until I can just slide the lever into the range I want. The same goes for going in and out of 4WD. It's a way to double clutch without actually using the clutch.

I put the machine back together on Sunday. I waited to fill the hydraulic fluid until yesterday (Monday) to let the gasket silicone completely cure. I used the machine last night and all is well. I did finally notice the warning sticker on the fender warning about not forcing the shift lever between ranges. I took two photos from different angles of the old and new shift levers side by side. It was bent quite a bit in both axes. The new shift lever has evidence that it was actually hardened, as where the original did not appear to be hardened. I wonder if there was a change somewhere along the way due to bending. My machine is circa 2001, so it is one of the early B2910s.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login