Go Bottom Go Bottom

I need some advice

View my Photos
Dan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-07-27          6350

I am interested in starting a small business with a compact tractor doing small jobs. What is the difference between a Kioti and a Kubota, except for price? I know one is made in Japan (Kubota) and one in Korea (Kioti). Is there a difference in quality?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

I need some advice

View my Photos
jay

1999-07-27          6356

Dan,Yes there is, take the Kioti off the list, period. Kubota doesn't have the highest market share in the compact market for nothing. I am green to the core myself, but if I wasn't goin to by the best then I would by the Kubota second. All kidding aside the Kubota has proven itself as a money maker, word of advice when shopping around,, don't let the salesman WOW you with transmission options, determine the kind of work you want to do and fit the transmission in accordingly. For example just mowing then maybe 2wd gear, or Loader Backhoe then 4wd hydro, can't afford the hydro, then shuttle shift for the best of the two. Check the market share on the kioti, then drive to your local rental yard and see what color is on the lot. Good luck ....

I need some advice

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-07-28          6364

The advice to check the rental yards is good. It is slightly skewed because Kubota deliberatel targeted the rental business when they first started importing tractors. There was quite the battle between Kubota, Ford, and Yanmar. JD didn't have a compact at that time. Kubota won....althoughI see a lot of JD's on the rental lots, so it might be said that the battle between Yanmar and Kubota is still going on. To answer your question. Kubota is excellent quality and always has been. The Kioti is a new manufacturer, not proven one way or the other, and you will be taking a gamble on reliability.....Maybe this will mean that youwill win. But it's still more of a gamble than betting on Kubota. No matter which way that you decide, I would make sure that the dealer understands that this machine is going to be your livelihood. Perhaps you can make special arrangements to avoid any down time. Roger L. ....

I need some advice

View my Photos
JLK

1999-07-28          6366

I recently purchased a Kubota B7100HSt (Hydrostatic drive) and a friend recently purchased a newer model with gear drive. Some say that the Hydro slightly reduces the horsepower rating by 10%. I don't believe it matters much, the hydro gives you an infinite selection of "gear ratio" which always allows you to pick the perfect speed and rpm for whatever you are doing. I use mine for a variety of work from mowing to landscaping, the Hydro is the way to go no matter what you do--allows PTO to be live, super convenient forward reverse action, and most history shows the Hydro transmission as bullet proof. My friend wishes he would have purchased a hydro. It's worth the bucks--if you go cheap, everytime you use it, it will ^%%*% you off. ....

I need some advice

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-07-28          6369

Dan,I also agree with the above postings. Even though Kubota came in a distant secondplace when we purchased, I would probably lean towards Kubota if I neededa unit for a business or Commercial application. I would tell you to also look at Green, but demand is so high, that delivery might be a problem. I also would NEVERconsider a tractor without 4wd & Hydro. And I though 4wd was for mud and stuff,that couldn't be further from true. 4wd minimized damage to our grass when we pulled out bushes & shrubs. Hydro is also well worth the money, but it can also be safer in tight spots when used by less experienced guys. That might be important to you, if you have employees.One tiny slip of the clutch...And you'll be saying "Oopps". Not even a concern on a hydro!!Did I mention anything about the re-sale value of a 4wd/hydro?? ....

I need some advice

View my Photos
Jason

1999-07-29          6417

Kubota would be a very distant 2nd place runner with me.. I personally would rather have the John Deere.. For many reasons. Nobody makes a more user friendly Loader to pop on & off. The Hydrostacic pedals on A John Deere is hands down superior to Kubota. You can use your right & left pedals while operating Hydro Drive with a John Deere. Loader frame comes completly off on a JD. And the awesome universal lever stays on the tractor.. to control other impliments on JD. And the grill guard stays on tractor now too.. So, I don't know your financial situation but, if you have the means get the JD... and get 4wd HYDROSTATIC.. a 4200 HST or 4300 HST are both awesome tractors.. so don't pick the Kubota just because it seems cheaper... its like buying computers.. we all would be better off in the long run if we just spent a few extra bucks and got the Macintosh!!!so don't cut yourself short..!!! get the JD if you can... ....

I need some advice

View my Photos
Lee

1999-08-03          6585

Hi Dan,'Saw your post and the responses. As far as comparing brands go, I'd first ask actual owners how they have fared with their units. Ask about hours and the use the machine was put to. Particularly for a start up business, cost is very important. At the same time you cannot afford to have the units down or raise overhead on parts and labor.Responses from many non-owners (regardless of brand) are nothing more than hear say in most cases and reflective of biases. Market share does prove two things: 1) First, the unit is reasonably reliable. 2) The Mfgr was very good at selling the machine, which owes alot to a successful marketing plan. There is truth to the adage that a good salesman can sell ice water to eskimos.If you want to go to some checking into some yards, I'd personally check out the larger contractors in your area. Most will have compacts for smaller types of work. Given they will tend to keep a machine 'till it's worn out, the brands on their lots will give a good idea as to where their confidence lies. They are your competition.BTW: I use my Kioti exclusively for hole digging, pull logs & stumps, loader work and rough bush hogging. The machine has never failed in any way. Now if I can keep shear pins in the mower ... figured out how to do field changes without unhitching the mower :)Lee ....

I need some advice

View my Photos
Dave R

1999-08-04          6600

I've got Kioti 3054.Use it to bushog high weeds w/ 6' cutter.Does fine in 6th gear 5.5 mph.Uses about 1 gal.fuel per hour and is a fine tractor to bushog with.Power steering and 2 stage clutch and shuttle shift all add to ease of use. ....

I need some advice

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-08-04          6603

Dan,Something I forgot to mention in my post to your question, and for some reason, Lee made me think of it.Dealer quantity, location,size & responsiveness. This weighed very heavy in my choice. I personnaly would never buy a Kioti, simply because I've never even physically seen one,know of anyone or any dealer in my area. That is not to say its a poor unit, just doesn't "exist" in my area. In your situation, availability to prompt service and parts should be a major part of your decision. I only lose time if something breaks, you will lose money and risk looking bad when you are only half finished with a job, and have to wait for parts. I'm torn with the idea of looking at contractor yards for buying advise.First off, I doubt a Kubota would be in the yard if a dealer doesn't exists in the area, regardless of how good it is. The same holds true vise-versa for Kioti or any other make for that matter. Many will disagree with that, I'm sure.. Being in sales, I can tell you that every sale evolves around the three FFFs.(1).Feeling. (2).Function. (3). Finance. Everyone falls somewhere in those categories, or a combination of them. Secondly, market share is a numbersgame. For example: If I told you that your truck had a 1% failure rate on the components used to make the truck, That would probably sound like a pretty reliable truck. But in reality, 1% failure on all parts would be about equal to 350-375 trips to the dealership over the life of the truck. Amazinghow marketing numbers & graphs can alter the true indication of reliability. And lastly, everyday I have the chance to prove to myself that people tend to buy things they feel comfortable with. That comfort, more often then not, evolves more around the salesman & the deal, than it does around the product itself. If that statement wasn't true, nobody on the CTB would be worried about asking "hey, is this a good deal?" ANYWAY, about those market share numbers.................................. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login